Smelling of roses...

Hi Folks,

In the next day or two I'll be laying up the DS for the winter. She lives under a cover in a nearby barn. Experience is that she stays nice and dry but that there is a bit of a stale whiff inside after six months. Anyone got any bright ideas about what I could do to counter that? I thought of Magic Tree / Feux Orange / etc but I don't really want her to smell like a Milton Keynes taxi!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

regular airing is the only answer.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Leave the windows open?

Reply to
Dean Dark

: On 12 Sep 2005 18:34:14 GMT, "Ian Johnston" : wrote: : : >Hi Folks, : >

: >In the next day or two I'll be laying up the DS for the winter. She : >lives under a cover in a nearby barn. Experience is that she stays : >nice and dry but that there is a bit of a stale whiff inside after six : >months. Anyone got any bright ideas about what I could do to counter : >that? I thought of Magic Tree / Feux Orange / etc but I don't really : >want her to smell like a Milton Keynes taxi! : : Leave the windows open?

Mmm. Birdshit on the seats.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

And find a mass of spiders and cobwebs.

Lovely.

Reply to
David Lane

Tie the cover down more securely?

Reply to
Dean Dark

: On 13 Sep 2005 07:53:45 GMT, "Ian Johnston" : wrote: : : >: >In the next day or two I'll be laying up the DS for the winter. She : >: >lives under a cover in a nearby barn. Experience is that she stays : >: >nice and dry but that there is a bit of a stale whiff inside after six : >: >months. Anyone got any bright ideas about what I could do to counter : >: >that? I thought of Magic Tree / Feux Orange / etc but I don't really : >: >want her to smell like a Milton Keynes taxi! : >: : >: Leave the windows open? : >

: >Mmm. Birdshit on the seats. : : Tie the cover down more securely?

And there goes the ventilation.

Been there, tried that!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

What do you think's actually causing the stale whiff? Are you sure it isn't dampness? I'd be inclined to run a dehumidifier in the car for a day or two before laying it up.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

: What do you think's actually causing the stale whiff? Are you sure it : isn't dampness? I'd be inclined to run a dehumidifier in the car for a : day or two before laying it up.

That's a good idea - though I'd have to buy one. I suspect the whiff comes from the nice real-wool carpets. Hmm. Shake 'n' vac?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Er - risk of being obvious - don't lay it up, use it!

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

: > That's a good idea - though I'd have to buy one. I suspect the whiff : > comes from the nice real-wool carpets. Hmm. Shake 'n' vac?

: Er - risk of being obvious - don't lay it up, use it!

That's a good idea normally. However, Dumfries and Galloway council seem to feel that if, between November and March, roads in their care are not white with salt at all times, they haven't been trying hard enough. Accordingly I switch from 2CV to Reliant Rebel (galvanized chasis, GRP body) and from DS to Volvo (impregnable!) for the winter months. In this case laying up is the least-worst option.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

We have a cheapo 50 quid one from B&Q and it's excellent. Also perfect for the family car after a week or two of wet weather and consequently wet kids.

Must be something in them rather than the carpets themselves though, surely? I wonder if something containing a fungicide would help.

Well that's one way to keep fit.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

"Ian Johnston" wrote in news:cCUlhtvFIYkV-pn2- MumpByv7Utsw@localhost:

Rather than a full-on electric humidifier, you could try one of the dessicant-based dehumidifiers available from caravan accessories suppliers.

Something like:

About £5 and £2 for refils. Try leaving one of those in a car while it's laid up.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Polhill

I had the same problems with the caravan, but last winter I put a small electric heater in the van on a timer, so that it came on during the night at the coldest point about 3am. Let it run for about 3hr then switch it's self off. Had no more problems and no damp smell either. This was ok for me as I have an outside power point. Picked this tip up from the uk caravan section. Ecky.

Reply to
ecky-h

: Rather than a full-on electric humidifier, you could try one of the : dessicant-based dehumidifiers available from caravan accessories suppliers.

Sound thinking, that man.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Yeah but no flies...

Reply to
Andy Vines

Aldi are flogging a dehumidifier on the 22nd of Sept for £4.99

"Take the moisture out of the air and protect your garage contents against rot and rust.Useful for caravans and boats too a.. High porosity granules in a secure container b.. Comes with 2 x 1.2kg refills suitable for 80 cubic metres c.. 100% absorption guarantee "

HTH Anthony

Reply to
Anthony