Sneezing Stag

Hi everybody,

My 1977 Triumph Stag has developed a strange 'sneezing' sound recently from what sounds like the front of the exhaust system. It does not seem to be road or engine speed dependant, but is gradually getting worse. The sound is very similar to a gentle sneeze.

Does anybody know what could be causing this, or how serious it may be?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Balfour

Sounds like a manifold gasket or flange/connection is leaking. Seach for the leak with strip of paper -- best not to use your hand. If that dosen't locate it get someone to restrict the exhaust tail pipe with a damp rag to increase the back pressure while you trace the leak. You might also find it by using a rubber/plastic tube as a stethoscope..

Reply to
AWM

AWM ( snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.freeserve.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I've found that a leaking exhaust manifold tends to be only audible on- throttle to start with, on the over-run or a neutral throttle, it tends to be quiet.

Pouring redex down the carb throat(s) is a *really* good way of finding any leaks from hard-to-reach bits of exhaust - they become very visible...

Reply to
Adrian