storage within M25

Hi all, not exactly a classic car so much as a classic bus, just purchased a 1960's routemaster and need somewhere to park within or around the M25 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Gwilym.

(to reply direct remove the 'n' in dt97gdno...)

Reply to
GG

GG ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oxford Street seems to be popular for that purpose...

Seriously - I think my first phone calls would be to small airfields and farms (especially if you want it inside), and I'd be very prepared to travel outside the M25...

As an indication, I rent three council lockups just outside the NW corner. For these, I pay roughly the same as a friend pays for a farm unit in Suffolk that'll hold five or six cars, with electricity.

For a much smaller farm unit in a village near Hemel, I was told about £100/wk.

And that's without thinking about the height.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for the help, I can see this is goign to be my main problem. Cheers, Gwilym.

Reply to
GG

There is - or was a couple of years ago - a sort of dead bus sanctuary just off the M25. May even be a museum, I never had time to drop in. IIRC join the M3 London-bound from the M25, leave at the first junction heading towards Weybridge, take first left and it's about there. I'm sure they'd be sympathetic! There's also quite a few buses and coaches in various states of disrepair on the Brooklands Estate a couple of miles further on. I could probably find out who to contact as a friend keeps his trailer there.

I also know a farmer near Westerham who has an older bus (or did have, haven't seen him since the last Biggin Hill Reunion). I will try to get in touch with him if all else fails.

Bloody big, aren't they?

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

In article , Geoff Mackenzie writes

I don't remember seeing it there, sounds like a school or the Hilton...

?X=509217&Y=160632&A=Y&Z=1 I sometimes visit the Hilton so thought I would have seen it. I may be wrong (or blind) of course

Cheers

Reply to
Ben Mack

Thanks for the help, yup they're big.. Brooklands have no space as they're re-assembling a concorde! The Cobham bus museum, I called and got a guy who seemed fairly suprised I should want his input with regards to parking a bus - I hope the number was right.... Any other contacts would be much appreciated, if I cant secure anything at a reasonable price I'll have to reconsider the purchase. I'd hoped I could at least re-coup some money renting it out but it seems the commercial insurance is a killer. Cheers again, Gwilym.

to e-mail remove the 'n' in dt97gdno

Reply to
GG

Ben - I've had a look at the map you kindly sent me. It's the right place within about a quarter of a mile, but of course it may have been scrapped by now. Best way I can think of describing it - when you leave the M25 on to the A3 heading towards the Painshill Junction, very shortly there used to be a minor road going off to the left which cut off the corner on to the road from Painshill to Weybridge. For some reason only traffic planners will know it was closed off years ago. If it were still open, you would take this little road and where it joined the Painshill to Weybridge road it was on the right, just before the junction.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Probably right about Brooklands - I called my pal with the trailer and he told me Mercedes had bought the land from Brooklands and terminated all the parking leases. Don't know about Concorde, though, but anyway it's not going to help you. Sorry about that. He did say, though, that he'd always wanted a Routemaster, so if you do end up selling....

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

In article , Geoff Mackenzie writes

Sounds like Seven Hills Road between the A3 and Byfleet Road

About where the arrow is on the above map?

Mmmm, I don't remember seeing anything there, just woods and the school behind. I'll have a look next time I'm down there

Cheers

Reply to
Ben Mack

Don't think so - Seven Hills Road is a fair bit further on, and on the right. If you get that far I think you've missed it. I really need to take a drive up there and have a look. Mind you, from the map, I reckon it's now the Hilton car park.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

I'll keep you posted with regards to selling, hopefully it wont come to that.

Cheers, Gwilym.

Reply to
GG