Vx Ventora FE vs. Rover P6

There is no comparison between an FE ventora and a P6. At the time the Ventora was regarded as old hat with itd geriatric and oversize and inefficient straight 6, although in retrospect that was its only redeeming feature. Vauxhall buyers mostly went for blydenstein uprated

2300SL's or the VX4/90 model. The FE was not a success...and was completely outsold by the mk3 cortina. It wasnt that nice a car in any variant really and its low survival rate is testament to its undesirability as much as poor build quality. The P6 and its Triumph 2000 competitor survive in much greater numbers and are still a nice useable car that one could happily live with day to day. By 1972 they were a little dated against the Audi 100LS and BMW and Merc competition and the DS and Peugeot 504 and 140 series volvos and SAAB 99 would certainly have been strong competition. However Volvo and Merc excepted they survive better than any of the others largely due to good spares support and clubs with enthusiastic owners. I'd also consider a Dolomite....more of a 3 series to the T2000's 5 series...but still a nice car day to day. I run a P6 V8 and a Dolomite in both Sprint and 1850 forms and use the 1850 around town wher I like its nimble and nippy feel, the Sprint to blow out cobwebs on backroads and the P6 for long runs where the good ride quality is much appreciated. Jonners Jonners
Reply to
Jon Tilson

Feh. FEs are lovely. The P6 is nice too, though. I'd have a P6 if it were a V8, otherwise a Ventora over a 2000/2200.

Right now I'm messing around in a 1974 Morris 2200. Now that's a funny ol' barge.

Sean, where is this Ventora if you don't want it?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

I wondered when you'd pop up with all this talk of s**te old Vauxhalls going on ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

""I wondered when you'd pop up with all this talk of s**te old Vauxhalls going on ;-)""

Nowt wrong with s**te old Vauxhalls! Just had all four bonded windows removed and refitted on the 'wagon today - no broken clips, but it looks like my paddling pool days are over... Dale Turley

'39 Standard Flying 8 (Brit in Pieces)'55 Morris Minor II '66 Singer Vogue IV (Brit Difrunt) '69 Vauxhall FD Victor 'wagon (Brit Slow) '71 Triumph Herald 13/60 convertible (Brit Rusty!) '95 Suzuki GSF600N Bandit '00 Castelgarden 8.5/72(!) '02 Citroen C3 1.4HDi 16v Exclusive

Reply to
MrT

In Ireland, Richard.... so you'd have a similar problem that I had a couple of years ago when I was interested in a certain Vx estate.

Reply to
Sean

MrT ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The water's escaping because the floor's fallen out? I'm just surprised it took this long...

Reply to
Adrian