what is it with classic cars?

they are slow, old, rusty, etc.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
hoever7x7

well yeah if you stick to british classics....

Reply to
chris

Oh I don't know: come for a trip in my TR5: and bring your bike clips. J.

Reply to
JH

So are many moderen ones, but who will want to save such characterless heaps of junk?

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

What are you referring to? You seem to be still posting upside down and not trimming a single syllable.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Interestingly I was reading a 1960's copy of Car Mechanics they other day and they were saying exactly this as they recommended Austin 7, 10, 12, Morris 8 Ford Y Riley RM etc etc. Esp as they could be purchased from as little as a fiver!!!!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Phipps

I am "the right way up" as far as I can see, talking of trimming, I don't think that a classic car group are really interested in sadverts for ajl electronics so trim it out yourself.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

There's no rust on my Scimitar GTE and it will outdrive most modern euroboxes, costs half as much to buy and insure, and costs nothing to tax it.

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

In news:42458951$0$15985$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, Peter Chadbund decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

A. Because it's only done by wankers

Q. Why is top posting bad?

Reply to
Pete M

Check above the petrol tank before you say "no rust". The oil flug off by the propshaft doesn't get up there :(

Andy, former SE5 owner (but it's gone to a good home)

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Reply to
Dean Dark

systems

Why don't you say something useful or just f*ck off!

Reply to
bored

How do you _know_?

Friend of mine (ex Cosworth mechanic, so no fool) had a Scimitar. It shed a corner coming off a roundabout. The trouble with fibreglass (and aluminium) cars is rust. They still do it, they just do it less obviously.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And they do it in places where it's very hard to check. I didn't /think/ there was any rust on mine, until I started re-fettling the back suspension. Getting the springs off revealed a pin-hole leak in the top/front of the tank (Scimitar fuel gauges being what they are - non-linear - I'd not noticed this one). So out comes the tank and - oh dear. Lots of chassis rot between the front of the tank and the back cross member. Fixable, but at a cost, which is why someone else has the car and that to do now (and they'll do it, and it'll make a lovely car again).

It's fair to say that the body skins of Scimitars don't rust, but there are plenty of cunningly concealed places which do (for one thing, SE5s have structual steelwork in bits of the body - that can spring some nasty suprises..).

I still love the old beasts, mind.

Andy: SE5a man/od, SE5 auto...

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

One of the problems of fibre glass as a material for building cars with is the difficulty of fastening things to it or it to anything else. This usually involves bonding in bits of sheet steel which can rust and usually do, or become delaminated from the structure. It was probably this that was the major factor in the demise of one of the nicest cars I have ever driven - the original Climax engined Lotus Elite

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

It would cost peanuts to use heavily galvanised - or stainless - steel for such things. So draw your own conclusions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)