Wheel Balancing

Hi, Can anyone help me please? I've eventually got the MGA on the road after it's rebuild (4 1/2 years) I cannot find anyone locally in the Birmingham area that balances wheels dynamically (on the car). I'm getting vibration and wheel wobble that makes it very uncomfortable at 50mph. The cars only done 387 miles since completion so I won't open it up just yet but I want it ready for it. I would be most grateful for any suggestions. I work in the Coventry area so there would be helpful as well. Many thanks, Ray.

Reply to
Ray Allden

The MG front suspension isn't prone to wheel balance problems, the scrub radius is small and the wheels narrow so even a properly carried out static balance is enough. The wheels front AND rear should be check for run out and a normal off car balance by someone who knows how to do the job (tyre fitters !!!!!!!) should fix it. However are you sure it is a wheel balance problem ? -- as the MG propshaft can be assembled with the joint yokes in the wrong relative position which will cause a sever vibration through the whole chassis.

Reply to
Zontag

That design of suspension isn't as prone to wheel wobble as some are, so decent balancing off the car should be ok. If not, I'd look for out of true wheels - especially if spokes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which if the operator knows what they are doing would (read should) be checked for before the wheel is even spun up.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Wires and splines ? You need to do those off the car first, and you need somewhere that has the right sort of adapters to get a decent true mounting of the hub (somewhere that does a range of alloys should be OK, but the standard cone for a steel disk wheel is too obtuse)

Once you're certain that the wheel itself is true, then think about how it is on the car (although it'll probably be OK). Chances are that you have a spoking problem somewhere and the wheel needs either truing or rebuilding.

If the wheel balances OK but is out of balance on the car, the next suspect is worn splines. If the wheel is sitting crooked, don't just balance it up to compensate !

Reply to
Andy Dingley