front wheel vibration

I have a 96 Dodge Stratus with a vibration coming from the left front wheel area. Anyone else experience this and have a solution? i am pretty handy with the tools and would fix it myself the car runs great don't want to get rid of it just yet!!

Reply to
reddevil

Look for places where there used to be a balancing weight that got knocked off. Another cause for vibration is an accumulation of mud in the rim, if you have been driving on a dirt road. Could even be loose lug nuts. If you can't figure it out, you could switch the tires on that side front to back and see if the problem follows the tire.

I bought a tire once that went bad within a few hours. We were on the highway, and it started vibrating and kept getting worse. Finally I got out and looked at the tire, and it was sort of egg shaped instead of round. Vibration could be caused by all kinds of things.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Check tire/wheel balance; also check wheels for roundness. A tire on a bent rim can be balanced, but still cause vibration. Try moving the tire/wheel to isolate the problem. If not tire/wheel related, then it could be something like worn CV joints or engine/trans mounts, but eliminate the easy, common stuff first. Good luck.

bob

Reply to
Robert Meyer

Yeah, SOMETHING happened to that tire, although I never figured out if it was something I did, or if it was just defective. The worst part was that I couldn't do much about it besides put on the spare because I was halfway between Laredo and Del Rio at midnight. My bad tire was on the back of a Caravan, but it was able to cause a side-to-side wobble even in the back because the tread had deformed in a sideways direction, meaning that if I had driven slowly in loose dust I would have made a track that wobbled side to side about 2 or 3 inches. I can imagine that such a tire would cause a lot of commotion in the steering wheel if it was on the front.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Actually you can do this on a brand new tire. Hit a really bad pothole and you can break the steel belts (tire will start to thump and will actually look egg shaped as you described.)

Reply to
Dennis