Where to check gearbox oil level on a '78 Spitfire ? (2023 Update)

I get the impression from reading the Triumph Spitfire 1500 Handbook that the only way to check the gearbox (transmission) oil is to go under the car. Is there a gauge elsewhere?

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
paul_silverman

No. Filler plug will be halfway up the gearbox. Take it out and fill up until it just starts to come out.

Reply to
Conor

Paul,

On my 78 Spit 1500, I took off the footrest from the internal gearbox shroud and cut out an inspection hole in line with the gearbox filler. The hole is blanked off with a cover plate adapted to take the footrest screws. Works fine, saves crawling under the car - when inspection plate removed, allows a socket to undo the gearbox filler from inside the car and which I use the access to check / top up with a squirt oil can. Email me for picture if you wish.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Sharrocks

Aka the "farting bracket"

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

Hiya. Could you please send me a picture of where / how to top up the gearbox oil on the spitfire, as you described . Thanks Middy.

Reply to
middyharleydude@talktalk.net