Screech from Clutch (Spitfire)

Hey again folks,

Just was driving around town in my 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500, car was cold. Tried to pull away from a roundabout (not particularly vigorously) and got a reasonably loud grating type screech from the back of the engine / clutch area. It only happened once (so I don't think it's the release bearing), but I imagine this is a sign of impending doom.

As far as I know, the engine/gearbox/clutch are original, and have now covered just over 51,000 miles, so I'm guessing the clutch won't last all that much longer. I've heard there are some bad clutches around for the 1500 Spitfire, are there any types that people can recommend? What is the general verdict on reconditioned clutches?

Sorry that's a lot of questions, but has anybody got any ideas as to likely cause, remedy, and how long I may have in this state?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Balfour

Thrust bearing!

Reply to
me

: Just was driving around town in my 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500, car was cold. : Tried to pull away from a roundabout (not particularly vigorously) and got a : reasonably loud grating type screech from the back of the engine / clutch : area. It only happened once (so I don't think it's the release bearing), but : I imagine this is a sign of impending doom.

The only time I had something similar it *was* a sign of imoending doom. It was a small bit of the clutch driven plate falling off and jamming between the cover and driven plate. The next bit to fall out was a whole spring from the driven plate, and that really didn't help things too much.

Ian aka Cassandra

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Think laterally....sure it wasnt just the fanbelt slipping?

Jonners

Reply to
Jon Tilson

Thats what i was thinking!

Reply to
Jak

: Think laterally....sure it wasnt just the fanbelt slipping?

He did say it was from the back of the engine ... otherwise fan belt would have been my first guess too.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Hi everybody, thanks for your help.

It really isn't the fan belt - I get a fan belt squeal sometimes with the lights on and it's very different to that. It's much louder, and especially noticeable with the Spitfire as you sit so close to the gearbox/bellhousing - it definitely comes from there. It's more of a grinding than a squeal, and only happens maybe once in every 20 miles you drive. What's strange is that the car doesn't seem to mind at all, and continues accelerating fine. It doesn't jump out of gear (have only ever heard this in 1st gear though) or appear to be any worse off, there's still plenty of bite left in the clutch.

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Balfour

: It's more of a : grinding than a squeal, and only happens maybe once in every 20 miles you : drive. What's strange is that the car doesn't seem to mind at all, and : continues accelerating fine. It doesn't jump out of gear (have only ever : heard this in 1st gear though) or appear to be any worse off, there's still : plenty of bite left in the clutch.

Check the pin through the bellhousing which holds the release arm. It can fall out, and you get very strange effects if it's halfway out. Otherwise, I'd be having my doubts about the release bearing as well as bits falling off.

So, one way or another, I reckon you'll need to get the gearbox out pretty soon. It's very easy on a Herald - I don't know if a Spitfire is much harder. Herald advice: take the driver's seat and steering wheel out first!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Just a bit more information wanted.

Does this happen only when you change gears and when the clutch is depressed?

or does it still happen when the clutch is fully released?

Firstly my thoughts were the thrust bearing problem which I did mention in the first instance.

Secondly is that there is a gear box bearing problem with either the input shaft bearing or the needle roller bearings within the input shaft or the cluster gear.

Me thinks that you should have a good look at the problem and not guess as it could turn out to be an expensive "she'll be right" job.

What's strange is that the car doesn't seem to mind at all, and

Reply to
me

In article , Ian Johnston writes

It's a little harder on a Spitfire due to the lower dashboard, and the A-frame you have to remove. But it's not that much harder.

Can't say I've ever removed the steering wheel to get the gearbox out. Normally I remove the passenger seat and take it out that way.

Reply to
Robert Pearce

This has only ever happened whilst pulling away from junctions (in 1st gear), and the car will usually get moving a bit before the noise starts. It also usually stops as soon as, or very soon after, the clutch is fully engaged. What's weird is that I can't replicate it at will - I took somebody out to try and let them have a listen and it just wouldn't play. The noise doesn't seem dependant upon the speed or vigour that you pull away at.

Thanks for the advice. I quite often see non overdrive gearboxes for sale (from overdrive conversions) and I've been considering getting one of these as a spare or to take apart, just so I can understand them a bit better. Perhaps I'll bring that little project forward and take apart my current one.

Reply to
David Balfour

The problem, as I discovered last year, is assessing the condition of the components. Obviously broken or seriously worn bits are easy enough to identify, but aren't necessarily the direct cause of the problem which may be down to general wear throughout the unit. Replacing everything is obviously not economic, so you end up picking the best of your original and your "new" boxes, renewing a few parts, getting end float to within the book figures and hoping for the best. This doesn't give you the satisfaction of a job well done as there's always the risk that by combining differently worn parts you'll cause more trouble.

If you're going to all that trouble, why not fit an overdrive at the same time? Dolomite overdrive boxes crop up now and again at reasonable prices. Apart from the overdrive itself, the mainshaft is the only difference.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It sounds as if could be the spigot bearing running dry and getting worn. If it is, it will steadily get worse.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren