Which Paint?

Hi All,

I've posted this question on the kit cars newsgroup, unfortunately it seems to have succumb to the dreaded troll/spam monkeys.

I've a kit car with a very exposed tubular chassis (i.e. no body at all!) and I want give it a lick of paint.

I want to give it a quick paint job to tidy it up a little bit. I plan to attack it with a bit of sand paper to get the worst off and hand paint it.

Obviously I'm not after a concours finish but I do want something I can paint over a little surface rust without too much worry. First though was hammerite but there are two reasons against it.

1) Hammerite is very brittle 2) Not sure I could buy a bright yellow colour.

Any suggestions?

Thanks All,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

Well, I would be looking at some form of chassis paint (available from trade from paint factors) but I'm not sure if it will be available in bright yellow ( !...), The next best thing would be something like brushable fleet paint (ABS etc.), this should be available in any colour that can be mixed from a paint scheme.

Your are right to disregard Hammerite, not only is it brittel as you say but it can be a pig to paint over later. Give me a couple of days and I'll ask the painters at my mates bodyshop what they would suggest.

Reply to
Jerry.

In message , Jerry. writes

Pop down to your nearest Yacht/Narrow-boat chandlers and see what they have for painting over steel. Marine paints are very tough. The brushing two-pack paint, 'International 709' used to be very glossy and physically strong.

Perhaps it's been replaced by some other paint nowadays, but there is almost certainly something that will do the job.

And bright yellow shouldn't be a problem either!

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Martin ( snipped-for-privacy@geocities.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Something like chassis black for the protection, then over-paint that with the required yellow?

Reply to
Adrian

The usual treatment is a coating of Primocon or VC Tar epoxy as the primer with a two-pack polyurethane brushing top coat. Several two-pack paints to choose from from International, Awlgrip and others.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Sorry I can't help with the type of paint, but if you are going to use bright yellow you'll have every insect in the county committing suicide on it before it dries. Especially in spring.

BTDT GTTS

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

You can't paint over chassis black.

The point about chassis black (the real stuff) is that it's full of bitumen. This makes it remarkably tough and rather flexible. It also means that a more rigid paint over the top won't like it and will give cracking problems.

Of course most "chassis paint" these days is no better than anything else.

Andy Dingley

On 8 Feb 2004 Adrian twittered:

How about Japlac canary yellow? I have a whole car brush painted with Japlac! Not by me :-)

Reply to
Richard Porter

Hi All,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm not sure Japlac would be that cheap a solution I'm looking for but I'll take a look.

We also have a boat place quite nearby so I'll pop in and have a chat with them.

Someone else has suggested just normal gloss paint?! Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

You'll probably want to use a synthetic enamel which will be more compatible when painting over previously painted surfaces.

Synthetic is easy to apply, easy to clean and it is tough enough to withstand stonechip damage etc, Oh and it's also easy to remove, (it is a bit like household paint only much better).

If you go down the two-pack route use Awlgrip, It is a better quality twin-pack marine paint than the international stuff IMO.

I tried recently to apply International paints twin-pack with roller and brush but was unsuccessful. The paint for my purposes anyway had very poor covering power for a *black* and it cured far to quickly even on very small panels irrespective of how I thinned it. A yellow would be catastrophic getting it to cover anything.

I re-flatted the twin-pack and ended up using Tekaloid coach enamel with a brush, this is the brush finish with absolutely no polishing: "

". I have no association with either company selling Tekaloid coach enamel but it would probably suit your needs.

There is a choice of two companies here where you can order Tekaloid coach enamel from: "

" Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Hi All,

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll probably go for the rust treatment and then a quality gloss paint. I know it won't be as hard wearing as some of the other suggestions but taking the cost and the condition of the car into account I think it's probably the best compromise.

Many thanks!

Martin.

Reply to
Martin