Why would anyone want a Classic car?

Yes, but only a late one on pneumatic tyres (an S4).

When I was a kid a friend of my dad's had one of Tate and Lyle's Sentinels and I remember riding out to Burtonwood in it. It impressed me as a much more interesting vehicle than the Burrell roller a cousin had. A Wallis and Stevens would be cute though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sometimes life needs to be a challenge to be worth living.

Driving a modern car is like watching a film. Driving a classic is like being part of the film.

Reply to
PDannyD

PDannyD realised it was Thu, 09 Jun 2005 01:14:14 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

Well said.

Reply to
Yippee

You don't get a £8,000 bill to replace the floorpan on new cars (though some 140mph 13-15 year old cars can have the sills detach from the floor). Chap over road my dad has just had that estimate for his Stag. He spent £5,000 on the engine and other mechanicals last year. I don't think any Stag is worth £13K. Clearly if you can DIY it then it's a labour of love, if you can't DIY it they will see you coming from a mile off as the saying goes.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Reply to
Peter Hill

If a DS isn't the very first Jellymould what the hell is?

Reply to
Peter Hill

He would have been better advised to check the condition of the body first, since they don't go from perfect to rotten in a year.

Nor will I doubt this one be - as other things are likely to be poor. Unless the 8 grand includes making all the body perfect.

FWIW, Stags usually rust *more* where you can see it, rather than underneath.

Many places that do 'old car' restorations are better value in terms of cost per hour than those who fix accident damaged modern ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It certainly stood out from other cars of the time, and by a mile. Some, like Riley, were still making wood framed bodies on separate chassis. Pretty though they were - but dreadfully heavy and cramped.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Peter Hill decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Jowett Jupiter?

Reply to
Pete M

Peter Hill realised it was Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:26:22 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

I've seen actual jelly moulds in the shape of a VW Beetle.

Reply to
Yippee

"Peter Hill" wrote

Impeccable Stag restorations go for about £18k on Auto Trader and cost about £22k to do. I must have looked closely at 30 Stags before going the resto route and believe me there is almost always something expensively substandard about the cheapo ones.

Reply to
John Redman

£18k - are you taking the piss?
Reply to
SteveH

In news:1gy43zj.l759egs2jf36N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Mate of mine spent more than that in 1989 restoring a Stag. Full resto, nothing missed at all. Restored by a load of ex-Triumph "engineers".

Car looked perfect, sounded gorgeous, had major failure 18 miles later.

Reply to
Pete M

Oh, I don't doubt you could easily spend that much doing a resto., but it would only be worth half that if you were to sell it.

Reply to
SteveH

That's the point, really, don't have a copy of any of my mags to hand, but ISTR that's at least 50% over Condition 1 prices.

There's literally hundreds of tidy, sound cars around for £8k.

Reply to
SteveH

Nope. For that money you get something way better than new, of course - assuming they actually sell for close to that. I've seen 2 or 3 offered at that sort of price over the last few years.

Reply to
John Redman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Peter Hill saying something like:

Chrysler Airstream.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It possibly is, but Condition 1 for a 30-year-old car is not the same as Condition "looks like it was built -- properly, this time -- last week", which is what the £18k plus Stags one occasionally sees usually are. I did see a genuine original 1-owner 40,000-miler too, which was offered at £16k, but regrettably it was magenta with babycack-brown vinyl upholstery. Pretty grotty panel fit and paint quality, too - very muddy-looking.

Yep, looked at many such, but if tidy and sound isn't quite good enough, you're into serious wedge. Cars in that range that I looked at usually had some fairly costly cosmetic or other flaw. Eg the rear scuttle seams were usually blown, which is a costly repair to do well. Doesn't stop you driving the car, but if you want a Stag built the way they *should* have been....

AAMOI I don't think there's been a time since the late 80s classic bubble when it was economical to pay someone to restore a car. The difference between resto cost and sale value reflects I guess the fact that you're buying someone else's personalisd car.

Reply to
John Redman

No. They are a unique car, and at even 18 grand are cheaper than any modern car vaguely similar. But you can get a perfect one for much less - if you spend some time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a big difference between tidy and sound and like new. Or better than new.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)