Why would anyone want a Classic car?

Erm... That would be the same fiendishly complicated suspension and brake system as on your DS, would it?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

------------------ No, Ben I am not a troll. I'm a Mum who has a genuine desire to learn more about my sons passion towards his car. Even my boyfriend has two classics which I am trying to rehome for him due to his new interests. I am beginning to understand. Like Adrian said; Soul. Charisma. A desire not to blend into the tedious herd. But the posting that I think has summed it all up best is the one from Bill Davies whose pal gave a lift to a young lady and her response said it all! My lad is a student with not much dosh so the Triumph has been ideal for him (and saved me a packet too). I've been impressed with his Uni pals fathers all itching to get their hands mucky to get him back on the road again each time. Now would they have made such efforts for him if he was a boy racer with his go-faster Fiesta/mini? I think not. Thank you all,

Dribbler (nearly forgot, I meant to say 'come on folks' NOT 'common folks' in my first posting - sorry!)

Reply to
Dribbler

Strangely enough, for me it's a financial reason. I've got a big estate car, which I need to move lots of stuff. Yes, I could buy a new Audi, Volvo, Ford or Merc, but I'd lose so much in depreciation I'd cry.

I do 25K a year, and break down on average once every 18 months. The car's serviced regularly and sometimes washed. I don't treat it like a pampered pet, but I do ensure everything works that should. Yes, it's group 16 insurance (a Merc 300TE), I use the full performance so it costs more in fuel and parts are a bit pricey at times, but the overall cost isn't much more than your average modern car. For some reason I also get let out at junctions in a way that modern car drivers (I drive one of these too occasionally) don't. It's a bit of class for not much cash.

David

Reply to
David Lane

In another thread you're trying to jack up the price of some old bangers while saying they don't belong to you. So why post this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please don't call us common.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In news:Xns966AA9D592FDBadrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Heh, I've got an Interceptor III.

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, David Lane decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Indeedy, I've got the choice of around 15 cars I can drive day to day, and I drive an old W124 Merc 260E as my daily driver.

For some mad reason it's on Ebay at the moment, but no-one's bidding.. the fools!

Reply to
Pete M

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

My next paragraph addresses that. Part-time running makes all sorts of big beasts affordable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Bill Davies" saying something like:

About the leaky roof?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

"Bill Davies" wrote

And with vinyl upholstery, it cleans right off.

Reply to
John Redman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John Redman" saying something like:

Err, this wasn't in Essex, was it?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

One day you will be old and require a little more attention and tweaking! Hope your hubby doesn't trade you in for a younger model that is more shapely and goes faster!!

Reply to
Paul Tasker

Exactly. At least the DS has a fairly bomb proof engine not to go wrong.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Same story in Wiltshire..... before I was married of course.... Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do you use it as a daily driver?

Reply to
Adrian

Pete

That may be because there's 3 of them on eBay at the moment; one at £255 (2 bids), one at £500 (yours?) and one at £995. It may also be because you've got a 0 rating. The description's clear however.

Most knowledgable bidders wait until the last 30 seconds so you never know.

However, I do think £500 is reasonable for what you're offering, although people will read 168K rather than the 86K on the engine and think "oo-er, my Astra wouldn't go at that mileage".

David

Reply to
David Lane

So how come Parisian taxi drivers used them for years?

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

"Geoff Mackenzie" realised it was Sat, 4 Jun 2005 10:50:14 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

AFAIK, most of them didn't. Peugeot 404's & 504's were more common as taxis, as they were much simpler and cheaper to run.

Reply to
Yippee

I have an SD1 EFI for fun

My daily driver is an E39 BMW. Which is also fun. And at the time I bought it, simply the best in class by quite some margin.

When changing cars, I drive all the contenders - or at least all those mags like Autocar would call contenders. Then decide for myself. Had I been changing a few years later, it would probably have been an S-Type Jag, as they corrected all the things I didn't like about it.

Your comments are those of one simply jealous.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My Volvo 740 estate (biggest non-van van you can get) cost me £200.

S/H non-classic cars these days are _cheap_, they're reliable and they're not the rusty lace curtains I drove as a kid. There's an argument for driving classic cars because you like them, but I can't see the economics of it.

And the idea of someone over 6' in a Herald is just a little puzzling.

Reply to
Andy Dingley