windscreen cover

My windscreen went last night, spectacularly. Bird I think - but the screen has completely shattered, not a single piece larger than my thumbnail, although its intact and in place. No worries, comp insurance, phone the insurance company. They put me through to Auto Windscreens, who say they dont have a screen for a Morris Minor laying about and they can order one, say two days. Dischuffed, I limp the 20 miles home at like 10 mph in case the damn thing drops in me lap. Now this morning I phone my ins.co. and put straight back through to AW and say *I* have a spare screen, how about I sell them that to fit in my car. They say yeah okay, we'll fit your windscreen for you for 35 quid plus VAT. Thats not what I want says I - I dont want you to fit *my* windscreen for me. I want you to fit *your* windscreen for me, but if you like I'll sell you a windscreen to use since you dont have one. Yeah okay whatever, they say, 35 quid plus VAT. My excess is 50 quid for screens. So in essence what theyre saying is it would cost me fifty quid for them to get a screen and fit it - eventually, and it would cost 50 quid (35 plus vat) to *give* them a screen and they fit it! They failed to see teh logic of my argument. So instead I rang my ins.co. and asked them to lift the car and take it to my repairer who has a screen and they said no since it isnt broken down. But its not driveable says I. Eventually they collected it - what a farce

Reply to
pork'n'stuffing

Just goes to prove insurance companies aren't fools, which quite obviously, you are.

Reply to
ribbed condom

Unfortunately the insurance / windscreen business does not work to any normal logic. Insurers do a deal with a provider, say AW windscreens that AW will supply and fit anything that the Insurer throws at them for one flat fee - say £100. So be it Lamborghini or Land Rover, Maseratti or Morris Minor the fee is £100. It's all geared to volume and streamlined processes - ask them to do something out of the 'ordinary' then they can't or charge such an unattractive price that people walk away. They are geared up to volume of business within a very tight band of services - that's how they survive as the automotive glass business is very competitive. By the way, the unit cost to most major insurers is less than £100 per screen., any screen including modern heated!

Bwahahahha. *Plonk*

Reply to
pork'n'stuffing