XP Home - LAN OK but unable to access internet

New computer here, XP Home installed - plugged into the LAN and can ping and be pinged but cannot get onto internet (neither via web browser, ping etc.) The firewall (running on a Linux server) doesn't restrict the IP address as far as I can see. Other machines on the netwrok are accessing internet without any problems.

Is there some setting in XP Home one needs to tick in order to be allowed internet access? I am using the default user which has Administrator privileges.

Tahnks for your help

cheers

Reply to
Jeremy

Wrong group.

Mind you if anyone *does* have an idea!

Reply to
Jeremy

Check the DHCP settings (under properties of the TCP/IP which can be found in the network connection properties).

The server either needs to be able to give your computer an IP address (dynamic) or you need to assign one yourself. The latter case sometimes requires you to tell the server what IP you've assigned your PC. This all depends on this Linux firewall system though, and I'm stabbing in the dark a bit I'm afraid.

Failing that, are the proxy settings correct or missing?

David

Reply to
David Balfour

Thanks for suggestions David - stupid config error on my part where I had entered the incorrect IP address for the default gateway.

Reply to
Jeremy