Unable to open doors Please help

Hi , I am buying a W140 approx 1995/6 but I cannot open the doors to get in the car. The remote key does seem to work as all the door buttons go up as if it is unlocked but wont open, so obviously the vacuum pump is working. I also have tried to open doors manually using the key. The boot (trunk) is unlocked and when I connect the battery the alarm sounds. When the alarm sounds it does not appear to sound the car horn it seems as though an additional horn has been fitted and I am thinking that maybe it has an aftermarket alarm immobilizer fitted and that is preventing me from opening the doors. Although I thought that once the door buttons came up the doors woud be unlocked. Obviously I cannot open the bonnet of the car to get access to the alarm until I can open the doors. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
Chugar

There are many questions:

  1. What do you mean by "connecting the battery"? There is no working battery in the car? If so, how can the remote and vacuum pump work?
  2. What happens when using key to lock/unlock driver doors manually? Do vacuum pump lock/unlock the other doors?
  3. How did you unlock the trunk? With key?
  4. If alarm sounds, the car may have been locked/unlocked when the battery is dead. Use the key to lock then unlock the driver door. This should turn off the alarm (if this is the right key).
  5. Are you sure the locks are functioning?

The main switch to trigger the vacuum pump is in the driver door. The second switch is in the trunk lock. All the door locks are controlled by the vacuum pump.

Chugar wrote:

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Hi, Thank you for the reply.The car has been unused for a year.The trunk is unlocked and the battery is disconnected. The original battery was discharged and a new one has been fitted. When I connect the battery the alarm sounds continuously and will not turn off when using the reote key fob or the key manually in the door lock. Then I try to open the doors using the remote fob, the door buttons on the inside of all doors go up as if the doors are unlocked but they will not open. I press the remote again and the door buttons go down in the locked position. The same happens if I use the key manually in the lock.

Reply to
Chugar

I am not familiar with W140 so I check the parts manual. The door lock component does not look too much different than a W126 (its predecessor) except for that W140 has power assist closing mechanism. This power closing has a controller and vacuum pump (which I believe is the same for door lock though vacuum goes through different port/tubing).

Also, using the key manually (don't use the remote) on the driver door to lock then unlock should stop the alarm. If it doesn't, there is something else.

I suggest 3 options:

  1. Keep finding information, especially the service manual regarding power closing;
  2. Find a dealer
  3. Break a window (though you may still need to find a dealer)

Chugar wrote:

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Thank you for trying to find a soloution for me. I am returning to the car tomorrow to spend some time on it. I shall let you know how I go on. Kind regards

Reply to
Chugar

Chugar ha scritto:

Mmm... I'm unable to help on the alarm, but I think that if you can't open manually the doors, it could be simly because they've been kept closed for one year: the rubber seal and the door are most probably nearly glued together. You'll probably need 'more decision' ( :-) ) to open door for the first time... Once you can gain access to the inside, you'll be able to open engine compartment and try to cope with alarm system.

Reply to
Cordy