Access to fuel pump

98 Accord coupe EX V6 120,000 miles auto.

> Went out to lunch yesterday and the car would not start. > Turned over strong but not firing.. > Called AAA, he banged on the gas tank and it started. ran for a few > minutes > and I shut it off. it would not start again. > Towed to garage . > The next day the car started everytime they tried it. > They told me about $500 for a fuel pump installed. > I'm going to wait and see what happens. > I picked the car up and I'll make sure I have my cellphone at all times. > > Any Ideas what might cause this? > It was HOT, in the 90s, The car had sit for 11 days and was 1st day back > to > work after vacation.

OK, I'm going to start using this car now. If it dies again on me I have to decide to tow it home and work on it myself. (I have a backup car so I'll have time) or tow it to a service station. My decision would be based on how easy it is to access the fuel pump. Can Anyone confirm if the tank needs to be dropped or is there an access panel in the trunk or under the rear seat. I'm hoping someone knows for sure so I dont have to remove the seat or trunk liner to find out????

If dropping the tank I'll let the garage do it if theres an access panel then I'll do it. of course this assumes its the fuel pump not just the relay.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

don't even /think/ of touching the fuel pump until you've sorted out the main relay...

Reply to
jim beam

-------------------------

If it won't start again, won't you turn off the radio and turn the key to position II and listen to see if the fuel pump runs, like we told you?

You're starting to sound like a waste of keystrokes.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

"Steve" wrote in news:CpGdndKPceAvg-DVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

This sounds like the classic Main Relay problem. The fuel pump is operated through that device. The fuel pump itself does not often go bad. It does, but far less often than the Main Relay.

See here:

If the Relay passes the test, then start looking at spark (the next items on that page). If you have spark, /then/ you suspect the fuel pump.

Reply to
Tegger