Access to Vauxhall technical Bulletins?

Does anyone on this group have access to Vauxhall Technical Bulletins or papers? I am in a bit of a dispute with Lookers over a faulty CD30 radio in a 2004 car now out of warranty by a few months.

The battery was flat when I tried starting the car and started with a booster pack by the nice man from the AA. A local garage fitted a new battery and the next morning the same thing happened. I thought the new battery was faulty so checks were made and to be on the safe side it was replaced. The garage checked the alternator and everything seemed OK. Then they noticed the radio had switched on by itself!

It seems this is a common fault with all CD30 made by Blaupunkt since 2004 but Lookers will not change the radio as they are "not aware" of any fault or other customers reporting this. I was told it is mentioned in Technical Bulletin Number 1979 and would love a copy to show Lookers. It lists all the serial number blocks of the CD30s Vauxhall Motors know are faulty and advises dealers to change them and charge for 20mins labour.

£65 to tell me a faulty radio is faulty is over the top and so is £395 for a new CD30.

I have taken the 20A fuse out for now as I need the car to start in the mornings. I was considering the repair services on ebay but am told that the Technical Bulletin mentions this CD30 problem can not be fixed. Can it be fixed?

Reply to
Appollo

A radio alone couldnt flatten a battery overnight.

Reply to
Burgerman

That is exactly what my reaction was which is why I went back to the garage that fitted a new ACDelco battery and asked them to check it. Then I was told about a Vauxhall Technical Bulletin with number "1979" on it that describes customers complaining that the CD30 was switching on overnight and flattening the battery. Vauxhall have also listed every CD30 model made by Blaupunkt since 2004 that is affected. That is why I need a copy of the vauxhall document as Lookers do not know what to do. I thought they could access the details and it should be on the system as a recall to replace whilst the car is in warranty. I have removed the 20A fuse for the radio and the car is now starting first time and no more flat batteries - exactly as described in the Technical Bulletin. If I get a copy I will post it for you to read as this is something being kept quiet by Vauxhall and the dealerships such as Lookers.

Reply to
Appollo

"Appollo" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If this technical bulletin exists, a main dealer will certainly have a copy of it. Since they've issued a technical bulletin to all dealers, Vx can hardly be accused of "keeping it quiet".

Have you tried suggesting to the dealer that you're aware of tech bulletin 1979, and they may wish to check up on it?

Reply to
Adrian

I tried that and politely suggested they could ring Vauxhall Motors or look on their computer. The person I spoke to wanted the date it was issued and who by etc, which I don't know. They did offer to book the car in and keep it overnight to diagnose it but at a cost. So it would be £65 approx to tell me about the fault I know exists. Plugging their computer in will not show it. The only thing to do is remove the radio and see that the serial number is within the batch that Vauxhall advisd are faulty in the bulletin. I'm getting nowhere with Lookers. I have no objection to paying part of the cost for replacement and have told them.

Reply to
Appollo

Overnight = about ten hours. Radio = less than 1/10th of an amp at sensible volume levels. Unless its also running a big HIGH POWERED sound system that would wake all the neibourhood.

If it took ten times this it would still take 50 hours to send the battery flat assuming a 50 ah battery..

Look elsewhere.

Reply to
Burgerman

"Appollo" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"Since 2004, by Vauxhall. Isn't the sodding reference number enough?"

So try a different Vx dealer.

Reply to
Adrian

I've had a stereo flatten a battery overnight (or at least flat enough not to start the car). You sure 0.10A is correct? I'd reckon it'd be a fair bit more than that personally, especially in a modernish car with a 4+ speakers, maybe a sub etc.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

So that's a maximum of 12V x 0.5A = 6 Watts. 1.5 Watts absolute max available for each channel, not allowing for screen backlighting, efficiency losses etc.

They must be very very efficient speakers to be 'fairly loud' with only

1.5W going into them. Are clamp meters very accurate with that low a current, and DC?
Reply to
PCPaul

Katie's 156 flattened its battery whilst parked up during the day in the station car park, because I'd not changed the wiring back to 'Alfa wiring' after replacing her Panasonic head unit with an OEM Alfa head unit.

Reply to
SteveH

But the bit you didnt allow for is the fact that its an average of 1.5 watts per chanel. The average bit of music only averages low level. Its short peak transients like drums that go higher. Much higher. My old hi fi is pleasantly loud at an average couple of watts. Sound is logrithmic. It takes 100 watts peak to sound massively louder. An average 6 watts - (your figure) in a car is loud enough to hear in your drive easily.

Not really accurate but accurate enough.

What they do though is that they average the current. So drum beats and "loud bits" dynamic range allowing, wont be seen. These short transients can easily be ten times higher.

Reply to
Burgerman

I used to have a car head unit in my workshop for music and another in the dyno trailer. Both ran off a deep cycle battery of 75ah for many days at a time before recharging. Many workshops do the same thing with any old car battery they have laying about.

Doesent seem any problem there. Unless you have add on amps, etc.

Reply to
Burgerman

It might of been changed, but broken again anyway...? To be honest, I think this will be a right hassle, and even then, they probably won't back down - certainly not any time soon :-(

We used one of the Ebay repair things on my Dad's Mondeo, it was one of those Ford stereos that took 6 CDs, and you just post them all in the same slot. Anyway, poor old bloke put a 6th in once, and it didn't like it... The repair service was quick, miles cheaper than a 2nd hand replacement and as you say, dealer prices for head units which are often crap anyway if you're not spending big money on the car in the first place are just madness. Anyway, we sent it off, it came back working perfectly and has been fine since :-)

Reply to
DanB

I had one of those 6 CD things - 6006E IIRC - off ebay for much cheapness compared to main dealer prices. Put a home-made compilation with a sticky white label on that it seemed to take offence to, so I took the stereo out, got my screwdrivers out, took it apart, removed the offending CD, it worked again no problems. I'd managed to put the label on slightly wonkily and it ended up with a bit of a lump/crease - enough to confuse the thing. Worked fine after that anyway.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Yea we did that with dad's, but it still didn't work after we'd taken the CD's out. Although the radio still worked :-)

Reply to
DanB

contact vauxhall customer care

they will sort the dealer out and get it put right

0800 731 5267.

should get 100% towards the repair as its a known issue

Reply to
Rob

I can't be bothered, let the OP who has the problems do it.

Reply to
DanB