350 Cu In. 350HP. new problems.

After a couple of weeks trying various things, I have the HEI system working properly and have moved on to other things. The windscreen wipers do not operate. The switch, - is it a vacuum or electrical one, in the dash, seems stuck too. The flap is up. Any hints?

More serious, one of the wheel bolts was going round so the nut would not undo. I have drilled the nut head off, but the bolt will have to be replaced. The problem is that the wheel hub will have to come out and that is not easy. I had to change a wheel bearing years and years ago and I can remember I had a problem setting the camber afterwards. Is there a simple solution to the wheel bolt? What if the new one is loose too, as the hole is quite worn and if I remember the new bolt hammers in.

Any comments would be welcome.

Regards George.

Reply to
George

Bob I

Thanks Bob,

I have ordered it!

Today I got it all apart and it looks an easy job, I shall grind down a UNF bolt to the appropriate size and force it in with locktight then a few stick welds on the sides of the head to finish it. Good as new. The main disc slave cylinders and the parking brake mechanism are all in a bad state, so it was worth all the trouble getting it out. I did not have to disturb the camber adjustment. With a bit of fiddling the drive shaft dropped down and I could get at the nut that holds it all together and sets the bearing clearance. Now I have more or less done it, I shall do the other side too. The thin plate behind the parking brake mechamism is a bit rusty, but it is all there and only seems to keep dirt out. I shall remove all the rust, paint it and put it back.

Regards George.

Reply to
George

Yes, it seems to be less intimidating when you break it down into bite size jobs.

Reply to
Bob I

There are special studs for the hubs. they have a grooved interference fit and need to be pressed in. Chevy or a parts house probably has them in stock. Will be a couple bucks at most.

Reply to
bmckeenospam