Auto Paint on Acrylic?

I have a semi-clear acrylic top for a Corvette that I would like to recycle as painted. I plan to sand & paint the top side & put a headliner on the underside. What are the technical issues in getting paint onto this surface? Are special primers needed? Is this even advisable?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Nelson

Mike, Back in '95 I was given a clear acrylic bug deflector for my dually 1 ton. The truck was white and the clear deflector was difficult to clean on the back side. The store it came from (very reputable speed supply) recommended painting the back side saying many people do it with no problems. I removed it and preped the back side with prep-sol and wet sanded it with a green scotch brite. I had some RM Corvette white acrylic laquer and painted it. That was 10 yrs ago and it still looks great.

All searches showed painting w/o primers but they were all applications like mine above. Reflective white paints are commonly used on acrylic for reflection/diffusion in lighting applications.

Is the top that bad that it can't be reconditioned? The best stuff for plexi I have found is available at pilot supply stores.

HTH, Marty

Reply to
Marty