Bread Loaf ... 1984-1989?

I have been searching for a Y series Corvette since the budget will most likely not allow for anything else.

I know the passenger side started to have the infamous "Bread Loaf" restraint when the '84 model debuted in '83 and the Y series continues until '89. Did the Bread Loaf remain for all of those years or did they phase them out at some point?

Couldn't find that information searching Google, sorry of it has been covered before.

Reply to
tacguy

It remained. There are some after market trim changes and gadgets that replace it and alter the cosmetics.

Reply to
PJ

I think the bread loaf stopped in 91. not sure...

ETar ('77 Stingray)

Reply to
E_Tar

I think the breadloaf dissappeared between 1987 and 1990 sometime... I forget the exact year..

Reply to
E_Tar

Reply to
Joevett

Also lost me on the "Y" series Corvette, and yes I know how they identify the platforms.

Reply to
Dad

When the C4 was first released to the public in 84 (there was no '83) the passenger side had an oblong rectangular box jutting out of the dash. It looked wierd to say the least.. It was supposed to adhere to some safety rules at the time. Anyway, that got nicknamed the "Bread Loaf". If you go onto Ebay and search for an Early C4 corvette for sale and see the pictures of the passenger dash, you will understand.

Reply to
E_Tar

it was to be the future home for the air-bag that was to be in the future..

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

Phased out when they restyled the interior..1990 or 91..forget which..Ecklers and others sells a flat dash replacement..but I think it's a pain in the butt to install.

Reply to
grayfox

Reply to
mike