Dash lights

The dash lights in my C3 stingray ('77) are very dull at night time. I tried using the light plunger knob to brighten them, but it doesn't help.. are the gauges in the center and the tach and speedometer back lights powered by the same light ? a bit confused i am.

How do I change it or make them brighter...

E_Tar ('77 corvette Stingray)

E_Tar

You have multiply light bulbs illuminating the gauges...you most likely have several that are burned out... Real Cheap to replace them . BUT also a Real Pain in the arse to do...

1st step..., as usual.... is to disassemble the entire car...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

It's also possible that your headlight switch is bad, or the ground connection to the dash is not making good contact... are all the dash lights too dim and unaffected by turning the headlight switch, or just some of them?

Reply to
WayneC

Well 'WayneC' , when i turn the headlight knob, they lights dim even further, when i turn the other way too far, the center ceiling console light comes on. (which is good).. But the dash lights are too dim at their brightest.

'Bob G.' if I have to disassemble the entire car (LOL) I will kill myself.. since the dash alone has maybe 50 screws. I thought the dash console had a single light and the tach/speedometer had a single light.. am I wrong ?

Reply to
E_Tar

Plan an afternoon and remove what you need to replace all of the bulbs. I didn't count them when I did it last summer but have at least a dozen on hand to start the job. You will be surprised how bright the dash will be with all of the bulbs changed. Maybe someone remembers or have their manuals handy to give you a correct count. Not a fun job but worth it in the end. Remember how many bulbs you changed in you house in the last 25 years? Same thing happens with a bulb in an automobile dash.

Reply to
Dad

I changed all mine last year. I bought a dozen and had a couple left over. There is also a peculiar light that is positioned over the gauges and shines down on them and the heater/ac control. You will see it when you pull the dash and the console, which are both necessary to get to the bulbs. Nothing spectacular behind the dash as long as you're ready for one big helping of spaghetti. Getting it all back in is fun, too. Just cut off and throw away anything that's hanging down from the dash when you get finished. (Mine is a 77, too.)

Good luck.

Reply to
BDragon