C3 Brakes

I have a 82 Collector Editor with very low miles and the calipers are leaking. Everything about the car is original. The question is, do I have my calipers rebuilt? Or do I purchase rebuilt ones and exchange mine? Or purchase new AC-Delcos? Would I devalue the car having new calipers or rebuilds that didn't come originally with the car? Of course, I assume the stainless sleeved & O-ring design are the way to go. Your comments would be appreciated.

Reply to
RM

Would I devalue the car having new calipers or

why put new and improved brakes on your car if you want to keep it original ?

Reply to
Kickstart

I don't happen to know for certain, but I suspect there are date codes on the caliper castings. So, if you are really concerned about maintaining originality, have your old calipers rebuilt. I think most rebuilders will do that, but at a higher price of say, $20 per caliper, for the inconvenience of shepherding your castings through the process.

I doubt it would affect resale value today, but who knows, it may in another 20 years. Not affecting value "today" is how so many older Vettes became non-numbers matching, piece by piece.

Reply to
WayneC

And affecting value "today" is how so many older Vettes have miraculously become numbers matching, piece by piece.

Reply to
Cool Jet

True, so true! (and became matching-numbers big blocks even though their original small block engines were melted down for scrap many years ago)

Reply to
WayneC

========================== Go out and buy 4 new Calibers ...BUT keep your original ones and pay the core charge... Personally I would NOT expect that a 25 year old car would have the original calibers (or roters)...and would not really care BUT if you have the originals that's all that matters ..if a buyer values them.....

As far as which type to buy...O-ring etc... Your choice.. the original design work just fine... IF YOU DRIVE THE CAR....

I do not drive mine enough so

I use the o-ring type on all 3 of my Sharks and on my Midyear (a 64 which I converted the front to disc brakes)...screw originally when its my "BUTT" behind the wheel....

To be honest I still have one caliber leaking on one of the cars every spring...its no big deal... Pressure bleeding only takes a few minutes and I'm good to go all summer...

Bob G.

64 72 Rag tops 76 79 & 95 Coupes
Reply to
Bob G.

Try these links for information on brake casting numbers and dates.

Some brake places will rebuild and return your calipers. Vette Brakes in St. Pete is one. Always ask first, don't assume they will, as most are simply picked off a shelf and shipped.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri