C4 Window Track - Not the ribbon this time

'86 C4. I've had the car for 12 years so you know I've replaced a window ribbon or two before. ;-) Window dropped again on me recently when I bumped it with my arm - $%$%#*&*!!! Cracked open the door panel expecting to do another ribbon repair, only this time the ribbon was fine - but the plastic bracket to which the ribbon attaches was broken. It's broken right at the point where the ribbon pins into the bracket. Just about the driest and most brittle plastic I've seen on a C4 Vette - and I've seen my share.

1) Is there any good news here in the way of a replacement part/repair, or am I, as I suspect, at the mercy of GM (new window trk assy - last time I priced 'em - ouch!) or the local corvette boneyard - which usually insists you buy more door parts than you need. With a boneyard replacement I could also very well be trading dried brittle broken plastic for soon to be broken plastic.

2) This car is not a keeper, but if I have to buy a complete new track assy (or if the boneyard doesn't have the ribbon type tracks) I might as well look into upgrading to a later C4 track - any incompatability problems I need to be aware? Worth the trouble? I expect the answers might be well documented, archived or even FAQ'd - point me in the right direction and I'll get busy reading up on it.

Freakin' plastic mechanical components in a window track assy - what were they thinking.

TIA

WM

Reply to
WM

Go to the best glass replacement/ auto glass companies in your town and find out if they have a replacement part or if they will get you the part. Bones '87 & '95

Reply to
Bones