'88 Grand Prix window problem

My son has a 88 Grand Prix 2 door, so far I have had to replace the outside door handle, but now that window has decided to fall out of track, I took the door panel off today, and it looks as if the window will not stay in the track in the front, and the felt is gone from the track, if there is supposed to be some there, what keeps the window in the track? I looked in the bottom of the door for broken parts, all that I found was what looks like the back of 3 rivits, a rubber disk about 2" in diamater, and typical junk that is in doors of that age. If I replace the track, is that something available at the dealership, or what do I need to do? The Haynes Manual that I bought today is about usless as the paper it is written in as far as the window problems I am having. Any help would be appreciated

TIA Kevin Howell

Kevin in Iowa

Check to see if the forward track swings back and forth, if it does the track broke off aroud the rivets where it connects to the lower mounting bracket. I had this happen on a 1989 Cav Z -24.

Generally closing the door with the window 1/2 way down will indicate the track is broke by the loud rattling you hear when the door closes..

The rubber disk you found is the window stop block, typically it has a rubber tang that goes through a hole a steel L shaped bracket bolted or welded to the bottom center of the door. The rubber tang broke off.

You can tell when the rubber falls off when you open the window and hear a hard crash when the window it hits bottom.

By having the rubber stop there it cushions the window assembly as it stops. By not having it causes the window assembly to shift fore & aft or side to side when it hits the metal bracket. Bending the bracket is also possible. Especially if this window ( power, I assume ) goes down at a rapid pace like my Z -24 window did.

This is probably why your window track may have broken because of the extra amount of flexing the window assembly was doing when bottoming out.

If the block isn't to disintegrate it can be cleaned up & glued back on or screwed or rivited. Or get one out of a newer car at the junkyard. The forward window track is fairly easy to remove, at least it was on my Z- 24. If you do get one from the junkyard take the rubber stripping that goes into the window track too.

Good Luck !

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

If I understand correctly, it's a "hanger" and it sticks to the window and mounts to a hole in the back edge of the window They're around 2-5 dollars usually and are had at the dealer. Fairly easy to install yourself if your inclined and then you push the whole deal back in the track--BAM! the window doesn't hang forward anymore.

If that was your problem.

Reply to
Steven Dinius