changed from Run flat tyres

Hi

I have just changed my run flats to normal tyres, the difference is amazing much smoother ride, however what do I now do for a spare?.

I assumed a can of the tyre fix stuff but I wondered what the non run flat vettes had ?, a spare but where was it kept and what size 17in or 18in.

I live in the UK so you can not just phone the garage or ask the guy down the road.

Advice please.

Thanks

ray

Reply to
yar

All of the Z06 Corvettes came with a small compressor and a plug/patch kit, no spare. The early Supercar tires on the Z06 were not EMTs so an on the road repair kit was supplied. Obviously if it is a destructive tire failure you going to need a service truck if using regular or EMT tires.

Reply to
Dad

Oops, I forgot, if you use the fix-a-flat approach you may well be replacing a sensor along with the possible loss of the tire.

Reply to
Dad

what tires did you get ?

Reply to
<corvettetrey

Kukmo

Very impressed with the grip and ride.

I wonder how long they will last?.

Reply to
yar

My C4 had Kuhmos on it when I got it. Looked like the prior owner had changed to those at about 24,000 miles in 1995. I pulled the Kuhmos in

1999 at 38,000 and they had at least 1/3 of the tread left. Tires were getting a bit noisy. My 'vette tires die of old age never from tread wear. I think you'll be pleased with the tread wear and noise. Kuhmos are a good compromise between noise, ride, grip and price.

Just replaced the boots on mama's barge. Went with Avid's but my tire guy was really pushing Kuhmos at me for that car. Almost as quiet at the Avids and the price was about $ 150 less for four.

Just as a note on not having EMTs on the car. My last carcass failure on the road was in 1971. My last flat was three years ago in my Garage. (brought a nail home.) Last tow in the C4 was from a dead battery (2005) Jumped it and I was on my way. Tow before that was a failed battery at night due to an alternator crapout in the middle of nowhere. (Probably should have slept till daybreak and limped back to civilization.) Last road call before that -- dumbshit guessed wrong and had to have gas brought to him. Things happen. Call for help. Thumb a ride with a beautiful woman etc.

To paraphrase John McCain: Just get on the damn airplane and don't sweat things. Put another way, safe sex is probably more important than carrying a spare tire around -- and it saves fuel. Still got the 'baby one' in the C4 but only check it once a year--could be flat.

-- PJ

Reply to
PJ

'however what do I now do for a spare?.'

REPLY: I changed out my runflats for Michelin PS2's -- better ride and quieter. I carry a small 12 v. air compressor, Tire Repair Kit, and can of pressurized Tire Foam in a can.

Reply to
dave

Reply to
Bob I

'Tire Foam in a can?!?!?!?!? '

REPLY: You know...you screw the can onto the tires valve stem and it inflates the flat tire . Theres foam in the ones i get and it helps to seal the leak internally till you can get it repaired professionally .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Reply to
Bob I

'That's a certain way to kill a tire pressure transmitter.

Dave in Lake Villa wrote: 'Tire Foam in a can?!?!?!?!? ' REPLY: You know...you screw the can onto the tires valve stem and it inflates the flat tire . Theres foam in the ones i get and it helps to seal the leak internally till you can get it repaired professionally .

REPLY: In an emergency, i dont care about a tire pressure transmitter ; ill get it replaced when the tire is professionally repaired.

Reply to
dave

I do not want to be stupid but is the tyre mending kit a side of the road kit ?, if so how does it work ?

Reply to
yar

Not an option as I see it, some Fix-a-flat in a can have been banned because they have exploded when they were being changed buy service personnel. Consequently if they smell it when they pull the valve core they are done working on your tire. Most won't fill a Corvette sized tire with any size leak that can still be plugged and blown up with a portable compressor. Which is what GM supplies with the non-runflats on the older Z06s. In your case losing a sensor is avoidable and replacement is not as easy across the pond plus that $60 US will buy you another tank of gas..........

Standard procedure is to clear the hole of any dirt/object and plug with a highly adhesive length of fabric cord, all comes in the plug kit with the appropriate tools. Connect the compressor, purchased separately, and plug it into an accessory outlet. Then set back and wait as they are a small displacement compressor and the volume is large in the tire.

As I've said before neither of these will help with a casing rupture.

Reply to
Dad

'I do not want to be stupid but is the tyre mending kit a side of the road kit ?, if so how does it work ?'

REPLY: Go into a WalMart and youll find them there in the auto dept. Its a package that has different size plugs in the package along with a special loop tool to push the plug into the tire tear/hole and some sort of glue compound ; i figure that along with using 'FixAflat' type of Tire Inflation Foam in a can which is injected thru the tire stem, would hold till you can make it to a Tire Shop for permanent repair.

Ive had to use the Tire Inflation Foam in a can only once .. and that was on one of my tin cars a very long time ago. It pumped up the tire real well and prevented the tire from leaking all together ; but i still took it in to have it professionally repaired.

Reply to
dave

Did the same thing on my C5. I now carry a 12Volt portable air pump with a tire plug kit in the trunk. I haven't had a flat tire yet but if I do I know I can plug the hole and inflate the tire. Not sure just how effective a can of tire fix will be!

Reply to
Tpflyer