Run flat vs. regular tires.

I know this has been discussed in this forum before but I want to clarify something.
We got 40k out of our first set of run flats. I went to the tire center
(it's all they do) and was told:
- no difference in ride between ride flat and regular tires.
- because of the low profile isn't able to dissipate heat as well as larger tires I can expect 10-15k out of the new set for city driving and double that for highway (that amounts to a set every 12-16 months).
- none of the manufacturers they carry (which is most) offer a low profile tire with guaranteed mileage.
Given the wear would be consistent, I selected a set of high traction tires for $117 / tire which was half the price of the run flats.

Good choice, I would make the same decision, Regards Fitzy
Fitzy wrote:

Agreed, first thing I did was replace the 16" Runflats with some 17" alloys with proper tyres, and then put some cut slicks on the 16" for trips to the Nordschleife. http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid &424
--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

For once we agree Brownzie.......... but I don't rate Falcons, I have them on my mini and its crap round Castle combe, my other mini has Bridgestone's, that car will hang on to the track like Velcro... brilliant tyres, Fitzy
Fitzy wrote:

Never used falkens either. During the summer I have Yokohama Parada Spec 2 shod on the bini which are superb. During the winter months I swap to Kumho Ecsta's as the Yoko's turn into greased pigs when cold !! I used to use toyo's but they seemed to wear very quickly when you start bimbling around europe and doing 6 or 7 trips to the Nord each year ;-)
--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Big difference in ride and noise level. Had to go to Bridgestones because the Yoko's were out of stock. $135 per tire vs. $234 for the ride flats.

Just curious, but which Bridgestone's are you using? I'm still on the factory runflats, and would never buy them again.....too harsh and too noisy. I'm staying with 16 inch tires, because I want as much sidewall to cushion the ride as possible. What with a small wheelbase and sport suspension, the ride is harsh enough. Going to a 17 inch tire would make it even harsher, so I'm sticking with a 16 inch tire. I'll be needing tires soon, so I was curious about the Bridgestones...
Jacob (Oh, I won't be driving it in the snow, just dry and rain conditions, so I don't need an all season tire)
205/50R16 BSTN RE750.
Big difference between these and ride flats. No mileage guarantee (because of low profile).

Will the new car be getting a regular spare wheel in future?
Steve.

I doubt it very much Steve, Most european manufacturers are slowly designing cars without the facility for a spare wheel, BMW with the MINI started the ball rolling, its just a matter of time before the rest catch-up, after all, very few people actualy change there own wheel, they call out one of the motoring organisations to do it, so in an emergency situation,, its quicker and easier for most people to use the repair kit provided,
"Its a nice car.... just got the wrong badges fitted" see you soon Fitzy