column lock?

(2001 coupe no modifications) new message on dash reads "service column lock" came on as i was driving home last night and won't go away, any idea what it is referring to? just another GM way of getting more service visits out of me?

Reply to
george

You bet it will, take it in or remove/disable it with the available kits. It will leave you sitting at some point.

Reply to
Dad

its telling you to "service column lock"... you probably have a problem in the lock or the key. I would first, clear the code and try using a different key to see if the code comes up again.

if you ignore it ? be sure you have your towing insurance paid up..

my2¢

Reply to
"Key

Reply to
george

George. Install a CLB as fast as possible, unless you like walking home.

Karl

Reply to
kgruber

I recently had the same notification show up on my diagnostic screen on my

2001 C5 at about 40K miles. Since I had column lock problems in the past - before I had the reall mod installed - I immediately took it to the dealer. They said it had notheing to do with anything mechanical and was a software glitch that occurs occasionally. They said reprogramming would solve the problem so I let them do it. Notification went off and there seems to be no problem with steering column lock.

Jason

2001 Pewter C5 Coupe

Reply to
Jason