Hood Alignment '75

Hi all, Just had a new radiator, shroud, and foam strips installed in my '75 model. When I got home from the shop I noticed that the hood is rubbing the body on the driver's side while there is about 3/8 inch clearance between the hood and the body on the passenger side. I would like to make the adjustment at home rather than drive 45 min. back to the shop if possible. Can this be done without a couple of gorillas to hold the hood upright while the hinge-to-body bolts or hood-to-hinge bolts are loosened slightly and then retightened? I would have no help for this adjustment. If not possible I will return to the shop for the necessary adjustment. TIA.

Reply to
W Moore

No problem, just protect the edges with towels or other thick cloth in the front, and move one side up first, half of what you think you need. Then do the same thing on the other side. Be aware of how much it moves forward/down so you don't set up a shearing action on the leading edge paint. Go easy and try the fit a number of times before you finally close it. Pay attention to the front gap more so than the sides until you get it close and see how things move.

If they can't put the hood back on correct how well did they do the work you can't see?

Reply to
Dad

Will I be loosening the hood-to-hinge bolts or the hinge-to-body bolts to do the adjustment ? I probably will need to mark the position of these so I know just how much I am moving them and not too much.?

Reply to
W Moore

That will depend on how your hood sits, if it's high move the hinge back on the fender mount. Moving it on the hood mount doesn't move it up or down much. If you're doing this alone marking it will help.

Note that you don't need to move much more than 1/16" at a time and that can be to much until you get it straight, then tweak it from there. Watch that front spacing close and be aware that if somehow you move the mounting point apart on the fenders the hood will bow up in the middle.

Reply to
Dad

Oops, should read - Watch that front spacing close and be aware that if somehow you move the mounting points in on the fenders the hood will bow up in the middle.

Reply to
Dad