SRS fault on Classic Mini

Hi, my SRS light has just come on, any suggestions to get the thing to go off before i take it to Rover on Friday next to get done?

Thanks

Jono

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini'

Does the horn work ok?

We had to replace the 'slip ring' on my wife's '99 1.3i as the horn had stopped working and the srs light was coming on intermitantly. just a thought.

Chri$

Reply to
<$>

Had the same thing some time ago. The way the dealer explained it to me is: If the light is ON, something is not ok, could be a bad connection of the wiring somewere or a faulty airbag/belt tensioner. If the light is OFF, everything is ok, even if the light was previously on when the wiring is properly connected and all is ok again the light will go off by itself.

When my SRS light was ON I had the dealer reset the SRS system, this turned the light OFF but the light came on again at the first corner I made, switching the airbag for an other one didn't help either.

I then removed the airbag, the steering wheel and the slip-ring that connects the airbag (rotating with the steering wheel) to the car's wiring loom (stationary in the steering collom) and checked all wiring, disconnected and reconnected the SRS module that is underneath the rear seat on the floor, disconnected and reconnected the seatbelt tensioners behind the inner panelt left and right of the rear seat. Could not find anything wrong so I reassembled the slipring, steering wheel and airbag and voila, the light was off. Must have been a bad connection from a connector somewhere???? It has remained off ever since (except for the start-up check wich is normal) so I'm happy. Had the dealer read back the SRS system for fault codes and reset it, all was normal.

Note when disconnecting the airbag it is advised to disconnect the cars battery and leave it disconnected for 24 hours to completely discharge the SRS system of power. Would not want the thing to go POOF when you handle it. Also, if you disassemble and reassemble it as discribed, reconnect the battery and start the car from the passenger seat or outside, do not sit in the driver seat the first time just in case you made a mistake and the airbag goes off.

And offcourse, tinkering with the airbag/belt tensioners is at your own risk.

Reply to
Raymond van Elst

Just had a jiggle with the steering wheel, cant get the light to flicker or go out. It started to flicker when the car was started, hadnt touched the wheel, was wondering weather direct sun and high temp could affect it, the car is unbareble to stay in at the moment, even with the roof folded back.

I was told by the techy that his laptop said there is an open circuit somewere, i have even scratched some paint under the modules earth point, but nothing...

Might have a look at the connections under the steering column next...

Thanks for the suggestions so far..