renting a corvette

Having found one or two other threads very informative, I was wondering if, in the major cities, you can rent a corvette for say a week at these major car rentals without going to the exotic car rental places? I'm thinking this might be a good way to see if I like the car in general before purchasing one?

Reply to
observer

google "corvette rental" and see what pops up in your area.

Reply to
WayneC

Why didn't I think of that :( but thanks !!

Reply to
observer

I checked with a local chevy dealer and he gave me one place that was an exotic car rental. That place wanted something like $400/day and anything over 100 miles was like 50 cents per mile. I didn't try Hertz or the like. Maybe the price is justified because they figure the driver will be hard on the car. I wasn't planning to be but they don't know that.

Reply to
observer

I regularly rented C5s for three years before I bought my '02. Usually rented a two or three year-old car, mid-week (Tuesday a.m. thru Thursday...sometimes M-F). Negotiated price for each rental depending on season, holidays, major tourist attractions in town etc. Price usually ranged from $200-$300.

Don't know where you live/work but it's best to develop some leads. If you've got livery or limo services in town, drop by those at a slack day/time, chat and find out which of their friends has a vette for rent. No livery outfit...check with your local gas station owners. Check with the local Enterprise franchise -- they probably won't rent 'vettes but are usually more savvy about other car rental businesses than you'll find at any of the big three. Once you find an outfit drop buy and have them give you a call when they've got an available mid-week rental with no takers.

You should be able to get a good feel for the car by driving an '05 or '06. Be sure to note the build-list for the car, particularly which suspension the car has.

Enjoy!

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Here in Los Angeles, Hertz rents various high end cars at their LAX location. That was across town for, but worth the drive. My Wife and I wanted to test drive a 'Vette for a day trip. When we showed up we had a brand new car waiting for us. It only had 75 or so miles on the clock. The price wasn't cheap, but it was somewhat less than the exotic places. Something like $325.00 per day and 50 cents a mile over 100. Another issue I found with the exotic rental places is they want copies of your insurance, sometimes a credit check, a non refundable deposit, etc. They must rent to the ubderbelly of society! Hertz didn't have any of those requirements.

Reply to
Bob