Uninsured motorist coverage

Hi,

recently I had an accident in NY state where 3 cars involved and one utilty pole, I am at fault. I was driving a rental car, I took only CDW insurance and NO liability, unfortunately. I did not have my own car insurance too.

I already got a bill of $10,000 for the utility pole broken in the accident. do I need to pay for the car damages and medical bills of the other vehicle? is the UIM coverage of the other vehicle wont cover it?

Please respond to it.

Reply to
ramki

Rental car companies carry liability insurance since they, as is the case with every other vehicle owner, are liable for any non-reimbursable losses caused by their vehicle not mater whom is driving. Having said that, the insurance company then has recourse to collect from you. Contact an attorney, WBMA

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Shep

So you were driving with no liability coverage? Ouch. Not real smart, but I guess you know that now so I won't say more on that. Anyway, this is coming from someone who is not an insurance or law professional so take it for that. Anyway, I would say you are liable for whatever you are deemed liable for. That means the pole, the damage to the other cars, the medical bills; any and all that the court says is your obligation. Now then, if you cannot pay or do not pay, the uninsured motorist insurance (and whatever kind of insurance the city has, if any, for the pole) I suspect will help cover those expenses for those involved. However, those insurance companies are going to try and come after you to get reimbursed if they have to pay for what you rightfully owe. The dollar amount could get real high real fast (depending on cars and medical bills etc.). If the cost is too high for your net worth and future prospects, you might look into bankruptcy. But then, I don't know if such obligations are excused under any kind of bankruptcy. Remember, I'm no lawyer. If I were you, I would pay for a legal consult for the right info.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

UIM doesn't come into play with a legal rental. You had the option but didn't take it. That means YOU accepted the liability from your actions. UIM only covers if you are driving a vehicle that doesn't have any insurance. If you don't have your own car insurance or a homeowners policy that covers rental property liability your going to want an attorney ASAP. You will be liable for any and all damages and medical bills of others involved. Then there are also the ever popular lawsuits for pain & suffering and lost wages. One thing your going to want to do is sit down and write up everything you can remember about the accident, weather conditions, location and times and just about anything else, and get a copy of the police report. The lawsuits may not turn up for a while since they have 3 years to file. It is NOT a fun thing.

Reply to
Steve W.

No lawyer here either, but having been involved with car rental/leasing, to a degree in SC, I'm shocked to know the rental companies will even rent a car w/o liability ins. being on it--either thru their own company or verification of your personal liability coverage(which you say you didn't have). I'd think the rental co.'s liability(again, IF ANY) coverage would pay up to its stated limits, the UIM of the 3rd car would pay up to its stated limits, and any leftover you may be liable for. I'd also think the rental co's liability would have high limits. May be way, way off base--just my thinking. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Incorrect. Uninsured Motorist covers you in the event you are involved in an accident with a party that does not have insurance and they are at fault. UIM does nothing to insure you for lack of your own coverage.

Reply to
Mike Marlow