70 Mustang Starter Prob

Hello all i am new to this site but very experienced in cars i have a problem with my starting system but i cant figure it out for te life of me.....here it is My car will start sometimes other times the starter will just sound like it is spinning if i sit there long enough and keep cranking eventually it will start.....i have replaced the battery,Starter,Starter Solenoid,Starter cable(oversized..could be the problem)car starts better in Neutral than in park when it starts.

Reply to
tuftackle16

Change the flexplate or flywheel.

problem with my starting system but i cant figure it out for te life of me.....here it is My car will start sometimes other times the starter will just sound like it is spinning if i sit there long enough and keep cranking eventually it will start.....i have replaced the battery,Starter,Starter Solenoid,Starter cable(oversized..could be the problem)car starts better in Neutral than in park when it starts.

Reply to
Merc

a problem with my starting system but i cant figure it out for te life of me.....here it is My car will start sometimes other times the starter will just sound like it is spinning if i sit there long enough and keep cranking eventually it will start.....i have replaced the battery,Starter,Starter Solenoid,Starter cable(oversized..could be the problem)car starts better in Neutral than in park when it starts.

sounds like you need a new flywheel,it probably has a few teeth worn off and the starter is not engaginging it properly.

Reply to
winze

I'd agree with Winze.... remove the starter and inspect the ring gear - check the full circumference since V8s like to stop in four different locations. It doesn't take much burring to keep the starte from engaging. Also be aware that there is a difference in starters betwixt auto and manual transmissions.

problem with my starting system but i cant figure it out for te life of me.....here it is My car will start sometimes other times the starter will just sound like it is spinning if i sit there long enough and keep cranking eventually it will start.....i have replaced the battery,Starter,Starter Solenoid,Starter cable(oversized..could be the problem)car starts better in Neutral than in park when it starts.

Reply to
Jim Warman

with my starting system but i cant figure it out for te life of me.....here it is My car will start sometimes other times the starter will just sound like it is spinning if i sit there long enough and keep cranking eventually it will start.....i have replaced the battery,Starter,Starter Solenoid,Starter cable(oversized..could be the problem)car starts better in Neutral than in park when it starts. pull the starter and look at the drive on it.. bet the teeth on the drive are all chewed up... dont know if you can get them now, but when i had my 66 must. way back when i used to change out the starter drives on the starter(the cost of the drive was about $6-$8 at local auto parts stores)..... the reason why the drive would get chewed up is the flywheel had some teeth missing also... eventually i changed out the flywheel and then there was no problem.....

Reply to
jim