'02 Caravan Transmission

'02 Caravan, 3.3L engine, 4-speed automatic. Fluid and filter have been changed according to the severe-duty recommendations, using Mopar ATF+4. Three times in 72,000 miles, something has gone awry with my transmission. Symptoms:

  1. The first indication that something's wrong happens at cold start-up in the morning. Shift lever placed in either reverse or drive, and the transmission remains in neutral. Return to park or neutral, wait a minute, place in gear, and it engages normally. This only happens once.
  2. The occurrence that worries me is that, after the above, the normal 4-3 downshift while slowing (about 28 mph) is extremely harsh.

The (temporary) cure seems to be re-programming the PCM. No fault codes are set, and the techs can find no other indication of a problem. The second time this happened, the front pump was replaced according to Chrysler Service Bulletin 21-004-05. (Kudos to someone here who alerted me to its existence).

I'm now well past any warranty help if this happens again. I'd like to find someone who could really DIAGNOSE, instead of applying a band-aid.

Reply to
the fly

when was the last time you changed the transmission fluid and filters?

Reply to
Les Benn

I gave that info in the first paragraph. Wish people would read more carefully.

FWIW, the fluid and filter have been changed three times.

Reply to
the fly

Assuming the correct fluid has been used in each change, and currently the fluid is at the correct level and you have no leaks, that 4-3 downshift thing is a concern. If that wasn't in the mix I might suspect the PRNDL switch. Since the problems go away when the PCM is 'reset', I would first suspect you may have electronic issues only, but if there is a mechanical problem that the electronics are trying to overcome, well.... I'd look at electronic issues first though if the car was in my driveway.

Reply to
John