04 PT Cruiser Stalling problem

Good evening all!

I drove my 04 PT Turbo/GT with 42k miles around all day today with no problems. This evening I backed it out of the garage and stepped on the gas and it stalled.

At idle the car sounds great and idles at the normal 1k. At all times it smells like burning gas coming out the exhaust.

If you give the car half gas (what i would consider normal to start moving) the RPM will go down to 0 and the car will stall

If you give the car a tiny amount of gas the RPM will drop a little and the car will drive forward. If you continue to only give it light gas you can get the speed up to normal driving speed and you still smell the burning gas. If you are driving normal speed and press the gas down to accererate at a normal amount you hear some crazy rattling up at the engine. Sounds like rocks in a can.

If you put the car in reverse everything seems perfectly normal.

Temperature is in the normal range.

I did fill up earlier on today, could I have gotten some bad gas? Should i run it till it runs out of gas and try putting new gas in the vehicle or is that a waste of time?

Thanks!

Reply to
pcm2a

With all this going on and the check engine lite isn't on?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Yes, that is what upsets me quite a bit is that the light has not came on as of yet. With the light on I could just read the code at autozone and see whats wrong I guess. I wondered if a bad tank of gas could somehow cause these symptoms but not cause the light to come on. Only way I know to get the gas out would be to run it at idle for a while though.

Reply to
pcm2a

Just a guess but it sounds like you have water in the fuel.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

You may just be experiencing an engine misfire due to a bad plug or wire. The next time drive the vehicle get it hot (operating temp) drive the car about 45 mph and kick it down to 2nd gear and let it coast with foot off the brake and gas pedal for 15 seconds. restart the engine and drive it to see if the check engine lamp comes on and sets a fault code. If the adaptive numerator is not learned the PCM will never set the check engine lite on for a misfire. Let me know what you get.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

I'm excited to report that I took the fuel hose off the side of the gas tank and drained 12 gallons of gas out of the tank (took forever). In each few gallon bucket that I would empty out I would notice a section of totally clear water pouring out of the bucket. After draining all of the gas out, I filled the PT up with 4 gallons of 93 grade.

Now when I start the car it fired right up with a little sputter. The first time i stepped on the gas instead of the car dying it went from about 1200 rpm to 800rpm and then started moving normally. I drove around the block several times and everything seemed to clear up nicely. I put in a bottle of water remover and a bottle of fuel line cleaner and put some more 93 grade gas in it. This morning I only noticed a sputter one time and that was when I was accelerating to get on the interstate. The car also fired up perfectly this morning.

I called Mapco to complain about the water in my gas but they said they have special equipment that monitors for that and such things were impossible. Liars.

At least Mapco's mistake only cost me about $40.

Reply to
pcm2a

I'm glad you got it fixed. I would still report it to the proper authorities because I am sure you are not the only person this has happened to. You might even get your money back.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

The engine lite should have still come on!! One more thing, it isn't a good idea to burn high octane fuel in an engine that requires low octane, it can and will cause drivability problems in the long run if you keep using it.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

I normally have been putting 89 grade in the PT. If I put 87 grade I hear some pinging sometime. Do you recomend sticking with 89?

">>

Reply to
pcm2a

87 octane. a slight ping will not cause damage. The use of a higher octane fuel may cause carbon deposits on the pistons and this could cause the engine to ping.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Big sticker on the inside of the fuel door also says "premium fuel only".

Reply to
pcm2a

I agree it should have but it didn't.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

My bad, The thread did not carry over the Turbo engine. Turbos will take a high octane fuel ,do not use 87 on the turbo. I looked up the standard 2.4 litre

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

I had the same problem with a Miata. The drain line was clogged that drains water out of the cavity that houses the gas filler housing. You could see if your car's rain/water drain is clear. Mike

Reply to
~Mike Hollywood