Almera oil consumtion

My car is a 1996 Nissan Almera 1.6 GX, mileage just under 50K. I've had to top up the oil several times recently - almost down to minimum on the dipstick. I generally do very little mileage, probably less than 200 miles a week. When I've done an occasional long fast run, it doesn't use any oil. The only significant thing I remember is at my last oil change at National, the oil was overfilled. I'm using semi-synthetic 10/40. Any explanations?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Any evidence of a leak? The oil consumption on that engine and mileage would normally be negligible.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

No apparent leaks, and previously I've never had to top up betwen oil changes. The two possibly significant factors are that the oil was overfilled last September and the present history of short runs/low mileage.

Terry D,

Reply to
Terry D

If the sump was overfilled- it might be normal for the engine to consume some oil down to around the max mark or slightly above it on the dipstick- then it should stop .

The short runs / low mileage may be the root of the problem and the engine suffering from some glazing of the bores.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

So could the problem be solved by a few long runs? Maybe a long weekend in Cornwall - 400 miles away.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Certainly worth a go- ensure you check the oil regually incase its still burning it- dont want you back monday with "almera seized up"!

If you habiltually drive gently at low revs / speed- give it a good work out during the trip- hard acceloration through the gears to the red line- and spend some time in 4th gear on the motorway at 4000+ rpm.

If the bores are indeed glazed you may succeed in removing it with some spirited driving.

If its valve stem seal problems, then there will be no change.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.