1997 Voyager Van Stalls then Starts

My 1997 Plymouth Voyager Van (3.0 litre) will stall a couple times per day. It can be at freeway speeds, or at idle. Mechanics can not diagnose it because it has to be driven for a while, and they just let it idle or drive it around the block once or twice. It may start right up after the stall, or it could take 15 minutes or more, but eventually starts. Spark? Fuel? Please help.

Reply to
AMANDA MURPHY

BTW, the check engine never goes on, so there is probably no error code. Thank you.

Reply to
AMANDA MURPHY

Clean out the inside bore of the throttle body including the top and bottom of the throttle blade. Take an old tooth brush or your husbands new one which ever you prefer and a can of gum cutter or throttle body cleaner. Of course the engine has to be when you do this.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn, What do you think is happening here in the throttle body? Is the butterfly sticking? Why would the car start right up after sitting for 10 minutes or so? Is there a sensor detecting a problem in the throttle body and shutting off the car? Thank you for your help.

Reply to
AMANDA MURPHY

Ok, Glenn. I cleaned it all out. It had a coating of gum, but I can't see how it was enough to restrict airflow. I mean, the car will die at 60 miles per hour! Then maybe start right up. Any other input? Thank you for your help. Amanda

Reply to
AMANDA MURPHY

Thanks for trying. It stalled on me even with the clean throttle body. It started after trying to crank the engine about 9 times. Not sure what to do.

Reply to
AMANDA MURPHY

That was the most common reason for that engine to stall, that would be the first thing to do to try to eliminate the problem. If your car is stalling just like that, then someone with a scan tool should be able to see what is going on. You have so many post's in here and i dont remember if you said you checked for any fault codes. And was there ever a scan tool connected.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

I went through this with my early Dakota, 3.9L V6. It ended up being 7-11 (Citgo) gas. After I went through that tank I put in Mobile gas and the problem never resurfaced again. I don't have an answer for why either. Just for giggles I tried it again about a year later and same thing happened. Filled with Mobile gas and problem went away. It never resurfaced again then I sold the truck about 2 years after. shrug....

Reply to
Abby Normal