1999 Dodge Caravan

Hi, all. I have quick question that I'm hoping someone here can answer. My AC stopped blowing cold air and I took it in to be looked at. I was told there were no leaks and just needed to be filled with refrigerant but they also wanted to put a dye in it so that if there was further trouble it could be easily detected. $130 to the shop and I was on my way. The very next day it stopped blowing cold air again! I took it back to the shop where they proceeded to tell me that there is a leak coming from the compressor and for $1000 they can fix it. Is this a fair price? Is it something that a not-so-mechanical-person could do on their own?

AZBRONCOGUY

Reply to
David Sandoval

The information in this post as incorrect. What is needed is an AC "Kit"....whatever that may consist of. It is the "kit" that will cost $1000 including labor. Is this a fair price?

Reply to
AZ Bronco Guy

Since your say your shop states there is a leak coming from the compressor (or did you mean Condenser?), it sounds to me like they might want to install a reseal kit in it, however I would have to recommend a rebuilt compressor from a parts store because it will cost about the same price as installing a seal kit in the old unit with the labor involved. Although I suspect that there is more to this repair than is being stated by you or the garage as a Condenser or an evaporator Core are also popular items to replace on these models. To save time some garages don't always state every move they are going to make, they state the major problem and say "We can fix it for about a thousand" -J

Do you know how to replace the parts mentioned or how to evacuate and recharge an A/C system?

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

Reply to
AZ Bronco Guy

There is always that variable, but if this is a garage you know of being reputable their rough estimate usually covers the repair cost. If the repair cost is lower you are all the more a happy customer. -J

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

FYI: If anyone sees that there is a lack of pressure coming out when the fan is on high, check first to see if the evaporator is plugged. This occurrs due to the fact that it is position behind the firewall under the shroud of the hood. When dirt and leaves collect there, they break down and collect on the evaporator fins just like your radiator. The cure: a good degreaser, let it sit for a while and then clean it out with a pressure washer. May be a little tricky to get at, but it'll save you further problems and getting dinged at the garage!!

Steve

Reply to
steve

I bought 3 cans of refrigerant with a sealer and filled the vehicle up. I didn't detect any leaks around the compressor but did find that a junction box mounted to the dashboard was covered with refrigerant. I suppose this is wear the leak is but I have been running the AC in the van for over a week now and I have checked the level a few times. It doesn't seem to be leaking now. Wondering if the sealer worked? What is this "junction box"? Would the box need to be replaced or just the o-rings replaced in the box? Any suggestions?

Spence

Reply to
AZ Bronco Guy