2000 Dodge GrandCaravan timing belt/water pump

Hello All,

My water pump in my '00 Grand Caravan (3.0) is starting to chatter. As usual, being Mr. Cheap, I dove into it myself to try to save several hundred bucks.

I've never done a timing belt on this critter before but have done T-belts on other cars several times with relative ease. In this case, I can't even get the crank vibration damper off. That nut is *on there*! After that comes the tensoner, alternator, power steering etc.. *Then* the timing belt covers! This thing is a challenge.

There was a time when this sort of thing never really bothered me. But It's cold and wet here right now and we're getting loads more snow in the next couple of days. I guess I'm just getting too old for this kinda stuff.

Any advice on how to get this job done or should I just scrape up X-hundred dollars to have a better man do the job?

chuck

Reply to
chuckatty

Chuck not trying to be a smart ass, but if you have looked at the job and decided that the alternator and Power steering pump have to be removed (in which case they do not) and you cant get the pulley off (which is a fairly easy job because it isn't pressed on) I would highly recommend you having someone that knows this vehicle do the job for you.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The pullies come off - no problems there. It's the bolt (not nut-sorry) that holds the damper to the crank that's the prob.

As far as the the other stuff coming off, I was going by the Haynes Manual by memory. I've since moved it from the garage to my desk.

I stand corrected, to some degree but- the manual says: "Remove Tensioner pully" and goes on to say "Remove power steering pump mounting bracket and set the pump aside. . ." etc.. . The alt, i was just going to pull a bolt and move it out of the way for easier access to the cover and t-belt once I'm in there. On closer review of the book it appears that Haynes is having me anticipate more work than I should. As I said, I haven't done this before on this engine.

As far as being a smart ass.....doesn't matter much to me. I've made bigger mistakes in life and faced harsher ridicule. Sometimes the written word doesn't carry the idea desired- I'm just lousy at that. My apologies if any goof I made (or will make) offends.

So, after all that,

how do I knock that bolt loose?

chuck

Reply to
chuckatty

A good impact will loosen it or a large breaker bar

Now move the Haynes manual from the desk to the fireplace

The serpentine belt tensioner has to come off, the alt and the powersteering pump stays in place. ( they do not interfere) If equipped with A/C....it has to be moved aside

I never said you were a smartass!!! I said "I wasnt trying to be a smartass"

Reply to
maxpower