96 caravan clockspring/ airbags

I have had this van for a year. About 6 months ago the airbag light came on. I have been told that this is a clockspring, (I also have no horn or cruise). I have not been able to find any info on a recall. Is there one? Also about 4 months ago I hit a deer, which deployed the passenger side airbag (but not the drivers) with NO damage what so ever to the van's body, or mechanical parts. The guy at shop said I should replace both. Is this van safe to drive? Any recalls? Or... should I just deal with the ugly hole in the dash and drive it till its dead?

Reply to
urabus

You do not need to replace the air bags if they did not deploy just because you hit a deer, There is a recall on that car for your problem concerning the clockspring. I'm sure if you were to google it you would find it. Chances are the clock spring was faulty and causing an open circuit to the drivers air bag. That's why it didn't deploy. The van is not safe to drive if the air bag lite it on and some one is in the passenger seat and get into an accident or you driving and get into an accident and it doesn't go off. Its up to you if you want to fill that hole in the dash with a good air bag. But if you don't the air bag lite will remain on and may not work if you were in an accident.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower