97 Caravan 3.3 4 speed

Here's a question for somebody who has had a caravan for a while. When mine shifts from 1st to 2nd it's a long smooth shift instead of bang, tires chirp kind of thing, it's in 2nd. Does this sound normal or is this tranny on it's way out ?

Reply to
Tim

Are you expecting a abrupt "wheel chirp" shift? The shift should be smooth. In fact, the transmissions in the Caravans are about the smoothest shifting trannys I've ever driven.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I think if you were to disconnect and reconnect the battery, thus making the tranny have to "relearn" it's shifting, you're supposed to see a more "abrupt" shift through the gears. I'd be interested to see if the shifts became more crisp after you tried that, and if they do I think it would suggest it isn't slipping. Just a thought--I'm no expert.

Reply to
James Goforth