97 Mazda B4000 transmission question

97 Mazda B4000 truck, 4.0L V-6, 4WD, 5-speed.

Bought the truck in January, used with 89,000 miles. After driving it for a month or so, I found that after driving it for 20-25 miles, the transmission almost would not shift into 1st or 2nd -- I had to shove so hard on the stick I was afraid of breaking the stick. Double-clutching didn't help.

I bought an extended warranty when I bought the truck so the dealer put in a new (rebuilt?) transmission.

Now, it's doing the same thing in 2nd gear -- drive 20 miles or so and it becomes very difficult to shift into 2nd, either from 1st or 3rd, although downshifting is much more difficult. Double-clutching helps a lot.

I suspect a bad synchro gear and it's only going to get worse.

I will check my repair ticket to see if the tranny they installed is warranteed before I go back to the dealer.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any suggestions? Is this a common problem with this truck and its Ranger twin?

Thanks.

Reply to
The Avenging Angel

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:29:27 -0700, The Avenging Angel rearranged some electrons to form:

Clutch not releasing fully? Just a guess. Is the problem ONLY in 2nd?

Reply to
David M

Having driven vehicles dating to before synchros...I can tell you that this isn't how one acts. The gears grind when the synchro is gone, it isn't difficult to move the shifter. Unless you are not describing your difficulties correctly of course. Now that you are on your second transmission, I'd guess your original problem is either the linkage or the shifter itself.

Reply to
Advocate

Thanks to all who responded. Here are some follow-up answers:

Yes, it happens only in 2nd gear and it does not happen all the time -- only after the truck has been driven a few miles -- which, I assume, heats up the transmission.

I am intrigued at the possiblity it could be the clutch. The truck has a new clutch and throwout bearing. Is it possible that driving a few miles heats up the hydraulic fluid in the slave cylinder causing the clutch to not release fully? If so, why doesn't this stiffness happen in all gears?

Thanks.

Reply to
The Avenging Angel

I just did a master re-buld kit for an F-150, 4 speed. The gears and bearings and seals looked new. The one thing that surprised me was the shifting fork. It's held in it's groove (linear alignment) but just a little plastic keeper. I hear these break all the time and may be worth looking into. This tranny is used in in 2 ton trucks. Yours is probably not as strong.

MM^^

Reply to
invalid unparseable