99 Caravan Rear window motor

Hi, I been quiet until today when I decided to take a peek at my rear windows, and find out why they quit working. These motor assemblies are sealed units that are sealed by melting plastic rivets, and they are easy to pop apart. On the one I took apart, the motor was the culpret. At 12 volts to the motor (gear disconnected), should draw about 0.15 ampere. Mine drew

0.5 amp in one direction (spinning), and > one amp in the other direction with the motor stalled. This seems to answer why the motors can shut the window better than open. Anyway there is a current limiting pellet in there that when hot, it's resistance rises, and the current drops to protect the motor from burning up when stalled. This is a PTC thermister.

I took my motor apart (not too easy), and cleaned the brushes, and commutator as best I could with steel wool, and a small round file. After putting things back together it worked great for a while, and the no load current was about 0.15 ampere in both direction with hi rpm from the motor. The motor quickly went back to normal after opening, and closing the window a few times. A quick Google search for the motor popped up this link:

I ordered two motors for $4.50 each + 3.00 handling, + UPS 5 day ground. Hopefully I'll have an update in a week.

I wonder what mother mopar charges for these motor assemblies?

Jim

Reply to
JC

Jim,

I will be very interested in seeing the final result. The two rear vent windows in my 1994 Grand Caravan ES failed several years ago within one week of each other! Keep all of us posted, as I'm sure there are numerous of us in the same situation.

Don

Reply to
w9cw

The 94 has a different set up, Actually there was a TSB to replace the motors and the actuator with an updated part.. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Update

I got the RK-370C motors in, and one window is working now. This took some fiddling since the new motor shaft is shorter than on the old motor so this is not "plug and play". Other than that one detail the motors are identical. I got the motor in with plus and minus reversed, so the switch now works in reverse. I will take out the other assembly next to see how that one goes. This is a pain, but easy on the $$$ so long as it keeps working..

Jim

Reply to
JC