99 Altima Power Window Problem

After a cold snap here in Virginia, I ran into a problem with the power windows on my 1999 Altima. At first all four windows would not
work. Now the driver window works just fine. However, none of the other three windows works at all. I get no action whether I use the master window panel next to the driver's seat or the local window controls at each door. When I hit the switch there is no indication whatsoever that power is being applied to any of the windows. However, the driver door window works just fine in both normal and automatic mode.
I only found one fuse for the power windows (under the hood) and it checked out fine which was no surprise given the driver door window works. I suspect there is an electrical problem since the remaining three windows quit simultaneously. The wiring diagram in my Chilton's manual does not even acknowledge that the car has power windows.
Any help on this would be appreciated. -------------------------------------- Tom Kunsitis - Richmond, Virginia USA
Tom Kunsitis wrote:

My manual crank windows sometimes do not even work when it is freezing out. Other times, the doors are stuck fast, or the doors won't latch when slammed shut. The glass is probably frozen to the window molding. Try to get the car warmed up before trying the other windows. If they are frozen to the molding, continually operating the window button may burn out the motors.

It has been well above freezing since the incident originally happened. Initially, the driver window was frozen to the weather stripping but it came loose after warming up.
Even when frozen, I could tell the driver door window motor was trying to run. However, there has been no indication whatsoever that any of the other motors are trying to start. -------------------------------------- Tom Kunsitis - Richmond, Virginia USA
I have a 96 Altima, and have almost the same problem. One day, none of the power windows worked. As far as I know, they all worked before (although I usually use only the driver's window). There is no indication that any of the four window motors get power when the switches (driver's panel, or the switch for a given window) are pressed. I've checked the power window fuse under the hood (by the battery), and the power window relay (also under the hood). Then I bought a replacement switch assembly ($113)(that goes in the driver's door). That didn't help either. It doesn't seem likely that all four motor/regulator assemblies failed at the same time. Maybe all four motors share a ground connection that's failed? The Haynes manual I have doesn't provide a wiring diagram.
Please reply if you have suggestions.
Thanks.
I have a 96 Altima, and have almost the same problem. One day, none of the power windows worked. As far as I know, they all worked before (although I usually use only the driver's window). There is no indication that any of the four window motors get power when the switches (driver's panel, or the switch for a given window) are pressed. I've checked the power window fuse under the hood (by the battery), and the power window relay (also under the hood). Then I bought a replacement switch assembly ($113)(that goes in the driver's door). That didn't help either. It doesn't seem likely that all four motor/regulator assemblies failed at the same time. Maybe all four motors share a ground connection that's failed? The Haynes manual I have doesn't provide a wiring diagram.
Please reply if you have suggestions.
Thanks.
On 2/13/04 10:15 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, "anon1111"

Check the wires where they run between the driver's door and the car body. Look for abraded insulation or breaks in the wires from the flexing.
Thanks for your post. The wires that run between the body and driver's door are encased in a rubber sheath. The sheath is not abraded. I didnt' remove the harness to check the individual wires, but the power sunroof is dead also, so it seems like the problem is somewhere other than the drivers door harness.
I asked the dealer if the switch assembly I bought (the one that goes in the drivers door) could have been defective. They said this is possible, but unlikely. They said a more likely cause is a bad ground. I did find a wiring diagram in my Haynes manual (missed it the first time), but it doesn't show where the ground connections are. If anybody knows, let me know.