99 Dodge Stratus

Ok,

I have a 99 Dodge Stratus with 140K on it. Lately I noticed a lot of smoke coming from the engine, also my check engine light came on. When I parked, I noticed that the smoke was coming from what I believed to be the head gasket area... smells like burning oil. My thermostat never reads more than half way between cold and hot.

There is oil leaking/burning somewhere in the engine. Upon further review, there is a black hose coming up from the middle of the engine to the top of what i suspect is the head gasket. That hose is bad.

The question is, if replacing the hose doesn't work, what else could be the problem.

Reply to
carolinabeachguy

Hey guy why not start with replacing the hose that you know is bad and while you are purchasing the hose from the auto parts store ask them to read what the fault code is that has turned the check engine lite on?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

its called valve cover gastkets....mac1833

Reply to
mac1833

I actually have changed the hose. Couldn't do it after running it. The hose was WAY too hot. I will take it over to them tomorrow to get the error code. The oil leak is coming from behind the engine. There is oil everywhere back there, problem is that this new engine isn't like the old Bronco I am accustomed to. There is oil covering the back of the engine and one hose is soaked in oil. No oil on the underside of the hood, but looking under the car you can see where it is leaking/spraying.

I cannot find an engine diagram of a 1999 Dodge Status 2.4L DOHC. The Haynes manual has the 2001, and oddly enough, that hose wasn't on that engine.

Reply to
carolinabeachguy via CarKB.com