Automatic gearbox playing up

Three years ago, a Chrysler garage replaced the automatic gearbox my

1992 Plymouth Voyager. It was the second time that the gearbox played up, the first time another garage fixed it. This time, it with the same problem they decided that a new gearbox was needed Even though it was experiencing the same problem as before. The gears wouldn't go any higher than second. At the time, they told me that new gearboxes were no longer available for this type of car. Not sure if I quite believe that because I did phone a Chrysler dealership up in America and they told me they were available. Just recently, the gearbox has started playing up again. When I am driving, the gears won't go in the Highlands second unless I really give it some gas. When it does change to third, as soon as I take my foot of the gas, it automatically changes down into the second gear whatever speed I am doing. You can feel the car suddenly pull back as the gears are slowing it down.

I have since learned that this year of Plymouth Voyager had many faults including ABS and gearbox.

Reply to
Ironside

Start by checking codes, make sure engine is ok & it's not going into limp mode. Change the fluid make sure to only use ATF3 NO DEXTRON Have the TCM reflashed. (trans control module) Only dealer can do it. read thru this site

sqdancerLynn

Just as a matter of interest, are new automatic transmissions still available for a 1992 Plymouth Voyager?

Reply to
Ironside

Probably not

Reply to
maxpower

But a reman unit from a reputable shop is just as good as a new one, and also considerably cheaper.

Reply to
LandB

Well, I had a reconditioned box put in my car in 2003. Since then, I have done 7000 miles and the box is playing up something chronic. There is no way I can afford to have it stripped down and fixed. (The cost would be =A31400) So, taking into account that my brakes are binding all the time because of the hydraulic assembly and the automatic gearbox playing up, I am going to have to scrap the car. Bloody good job I have ordered a new one, not a Chrysler this time. I am taking the car to a garage next week and they are going to put in some ATF + 3. I am a much doubt this will sort the problem out but it's worth a try.

Reply to
Ironside

Yes but normally with just a 12/12 warranty. If you purchased a reman from the dealer and had it installed the warranty would be 3/36

Reply to
maxpower

Well, I had a reconditioned box put in my car in 2003. Since then, I have done 7000 miles and the box is playing up something chronic. There is no way I can afford to have it stripped down and fixed. (The cost would be £1400) So, taking into account that my brakes are binding all the time because of the hydraulic assembly and the automatic gearbox playing up, I am going to have to scrap the car. Bloody good job I have ordered a new one, not a Chrysler this time. I am taking the car to a garage next week and they are going to put in some ATF + 3. I am a much doubt this will sort the problem out but it's worth a try.

Was it a recondition trans from Chrysler? If so it should be still covered under the 3/36 warranty. As far as you brakes goes the only thing I can think of at this time until I get to work to check this number you gave me is that the ABS unit that was installed could be for a C body vehicle. The DYNASTY/NewYorker uses the same ABS unit but the "NON-ADJUSTABLE" Pushrod is slightly longer then the NS Caravan unit

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I have absolutely no idea whether the recondition unit came from Chrysler. The Chrysler dealership fitted it. All I know it is they gave me a 12 month./12,000 my warranty. Two days before the warranty ran out, the box started doing what it is doing now and I managed to get in. Since then, it has done it a few times but has righted itself. This time, I think the transmission is shot. By the way, the dealership is called "Carrs of Exeter" I would avoid them like the plague

Reply to
Ironside

I have absolutely no idea whether the recondition unit came from Chrysler. The Chrysler dealership fitted it. All I know it is they gave me a 12 month./12,000 my warranty. Two days before the warranty ran out, the box started doing what it is doing now and I managed to get in. Since then, it has done it a few times but has righted itself. This time, I think the transmission is shot. By the way, the dealership is called "Carrs of Exeter" I would avoid them like the plague

When you pay for something don't you ask them what you are getting? Find out if they installed a Chrysler Remanufactured unit. Don't you have a receipt stating what you bought???

Reply to
maxpower

Strangely, I used to trust what people told me. I am also not at all mechanically minded so when they say they are putting in a reconditioned gearbox, I assume it is going to work. I don't automatically ask where has it come from.

I am a bit of hoarder and don't throw things away straightaway. I have actually got the invoice for the gearbox so I will have a look at it tomorrow. When the I do know, it cost me =A31500 excluding Labour.

7000 mi. later and the bloody thing doesn't work properly

What is this 3/36, three years or 36,000 maybe?

Reply to
Ironside

Strangely, I used to trust what people told me. I am also not at all mechanically minded so when they say they are putting in a reconditioned gearbox, I assume it is going to work. I don't automatically ask where has it come from.

I am a bit of hoarder and don't throw things away straightaway. I have actually got the invoice for the gearbox so I will have a look at it tomorrow. When the I do know, it cost me £1500 excluding Labour.

7000 mi. later and the bloody thing doesn't work properly

What is this 3/36, three years or 36,000 maybe?

If you purchased a Chrysler Remanufactured Transmission. The warranty on it is 3 years or 36 thousand miles whichever comes first. So you may still be under this warranty if it was a remanufactued. Now if the dealer just took yours out and fixed it, normally that comes with a 12 month 12 thousand mile warranty

Reply to
maxpower

On the invoice it clearly states "replace gearbox with reconditioned unit" now, obviously that can only be a Chrysler gearbox I would have thought. Does this 3/36 warranty apply to Chryslers anywhere in the world or just the United States?

Reply to
Ironside

Very strange, the gearbox is now performing perfectly okay. What could be wrong?

Reply to
Ironside

I had a 604 trans rebuilt by an individual who neglected to put the upgraded controller in when installing the rebuilt transmission kit (which has many inherent upgrades from original). It kept acting up. Took it to a REPUTABLE transmission shop who told me that the controllers had been upgraded "several times since original" and mine was a dinosaur, incapable of storing near as many codes as the later ones, etc.

Reply to
James Goforth

It could very well have a solenoid sticking or with a bad electrical connection to one of them. I suspect this is a problem which could be fixed without removing the trans, taking it all apart, etc. The new the controller it has (and it should have the latest one if the people who addressed the trans problem originally) should yield the code which points to the problem. If they didn't put the upgraded controller in it, it is much more limited to which codes it will display and likely wouldn't control the upgraded transmission properly or consistently anyway.

Reply to
James Goforth