Caravan OBDII CODE P1494 a deal breaker?

I?m looking at buying a 97 caravan with the check engine light on. Dealer was honest (I?m giving them the benifit of the doubt) and said it could be a $50 fix or a $1500 fix, they were not going to invest any time to repair and diagnose it. I?ve bought 2 cars from this dealership before, and both have been EXCELLENT, it?s a 5 star dealership. This car is just too old for thier normal "clean up and fix and certify" program. I was able to drive the van to AUTOZONE and they ran the test.

OBDII P CODE: P1494 SPCUT SOLINOID CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION.

Every place on the web says "Leak detection pump switch or mechanical fault" Is it the same thing?

AUTOZONE seemed to think it has to do with the transmission. So I am leary about getting a deal on this van (LE FULLY LOADED and FULLY FUNCTIONAL) only to ruin the deal by having a $1800 transmission repair 3 months down the road.

WHAT is this thing do, is it critical, and should it keep me from buying this van for $3200??

Reply to
broderp

P1495-LEAK DETECTION PUMP SOLENOID CIRCUIT

When Monitored: Ignition on and battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts.

Set Condition: The state of the solenoid circuit does not match the PCM's desired state.

If you don't fix the problem the ckeck engine light will stay on. In some places this will also cause you to fail inspection. It could be as simple as a broken wire or loose connection. It could also be a bad PCM or Leak Detection Pump. You will need a factory scan tool , factory manual and wiring diagram to dignose this problem.

It should be an easy task for a dealer tech to diagnose such a problem, so the dealer may not have been as honest with you as you think. You may want to price a PCM and Leak Detect Pump and maybe 3 hours labor and see if you still think it is a good price.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Mike

I would reject this vehicle out of hand. It's a Chrysler dealership and they can't be bothered to address a check engine light on a '97--it's too old? And you're supposed to buy blue-sky and then cross your fingers & deal with it yourself? This doesn't pass the smell test. If anything, it should say loud & clear that it's likely to be something you DON'T wanna have to fix. I agree with the other poster. If you want a '97 Caravan, I believe there are several others. Like, you can't throw a rock without hitting one :-)

Reply to
James Goforth