Breaker bar recommendations

I'm after a breaker bar, I have a few forth coming jobs, including control arms out, and top mounts. I guess I need a breaker as I promised myself to stop abusing my ratchet as a new nears resolution. Maybe enough to take the wheel nuts off but I have a extendable wheel brace for that so no major.

It will get seldom use but I want something good to last.

Reply to
Jeff

My one is a Britool E79, it has suffered over 40 years of use (secondhand when I got it) Frequently used with a scaffold tube.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My one is a Britool E79, it has suffered over 40 years of use (secondhand when I got it) Frequently used with a scaffold tube.

Hehe think they make the halfords ones too, very good from what I hear. I was thinking of a sealey ak301 for about £11.95 on amazon cheap and good reviews. Although I am tempted by a halfords one at about £25, I might even get away with a 10 inch breaker I have for the wishbones.

Whilst your about if I may pick your brain, when changing the wishbones on a mk4 golf, shot rear bushes, my plan is to just replace the whole wishbone with bushes already pressed in, should I change the balljoint, droplink, tie rod and rod ends whilst its all apart ?

also when I'm done I will get the tracking done but a mechanic locally said whilst I got a new tyre fitted that a standard tracking is not good as I need a garage with a camber / toe adjusting machine as the lock plate on the balljoint replacement throws it all out after suspension work. To me I have no idea what the heck that means so was planning on just dropping it in to them for tracking, but he has somewhat confused me.

Reply to
Jeff

Unless it is worn out there is little point in replacing it. With a multi way adjustable set up you do need to get everything lined up on some complicated kit if you want it all to perform as it should. I would guess that a reliable version of such places are very few and far between and you need to get somewhere on recommendation local to you.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Unless it is worn out there is little point in replacing it. With a multi way adjustable set up you do need to get everything lined up on some complicated kit if you want it all to perform as it should. I would guess that a reliable version of such places are very few and far between and you need to get somewhere on recommendation local to you.

One step ahead, the chap recommended a place that charges £31.65 a side or total may may misunderstood the pricing and a 30 minute way. That was for the front only. Not sure if the back wheels have to be touched ?

Reply to
Jeff

a usual price for tracking alone on the front is twenty quid upwards. Full alignment check and adjust on all four would be at least four times that. If you haven't changed anything or hit anything on the back end then that should all be OK

Reply to
Mrcheerful

a usual price for tracking alone on the front is twenty quid upwards. Full alignment check and adjust on all four would be at least four times that. If you haven't changed anything or hit anything on the back end then that should all be OK

Top man, so I'll aim to just have the fronts done.

Reply to
Jeff