Engine mounting

I could still use some help with this if anyone is so inclined.

Applies to a 360ci in an 87 Ramcharger.

I recently replaced my engine. I just noticed that it "looks" to be crooked in the engine compartment. Measuring from the firewall to the lower front corner of each head yields a 1" difference in the left versus the right. Measuring from the frame rail to the same corner of the heads yields a 1/4 in difference. In my book, that is crooked.

I had no difficulty in bolting anything up (flex plate, bell housing, motor mounts, etc...). ONe of the motor mounts is a fixed stud, so I fugured it had to go in correctly. I would assume that the engine is supposed to be square in the engine comaprtment, although I must admit I have never really looked for that in the past. The fan doesn't appear to be signifiicantly askew within the shroud.

That being the case, what are the best points of reference to use for squaring the engine in the compartment? Any tricks of the trade to make this an easy fix would be appreciated as well.

Thanks Patrick

Reply to
redhornet

Repeat the measurements on a different but similar car. (Used car lot?)

Reply to
Usual suspect.

As long as it sits on the mounts and the bolts line up without twisting or prying, it's where it ought to be. The main coinsideration for how the engine sits in the compartment is whether the shaft aligns correctly with the transmission. Both heads SHOULD measure different distances from the firewall. Con rods from the left and right bank connect to common crank throws, so they can't lie in the same plane. One has to be ahead or behind the other, by the thickness of a con rod.

Reply to
the fly