Neon CrankShaft Sensor

My daughter's 1998 DOHC Neon engine stopped while driving. The OBD-II's only error codes are 12, battery, and 54, Camshaft Sensor failure. My question for this group is if the sensor has failed, should I still have spark? I thought if that sensor has failed, there would be no timing indication and therefore no spark generated. Any input would be appreciated. Dan

Reply to
Dan

Yes you will have a spark, the engine may have a hard time starting and will get very bad gas mileage.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks Maxpower for replying. I changed out the Camshaft Sensor and no change. Engine cranks, but does not start. I have spark, smell gas, and hear the pump cycle. I have not check pressure yet, but I would think that the engine would try to fire with a weak pump. This engine does not feel like any cylinder is trying to fire. So with spark, and the smell of gas, where is the lack of ignition occurring? I read where the Crankshaft sensor can cause the engine not to "work", what ever that means. What am I missing here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

engine timing!! was the belt ever replaced, the timing belt??

Glenn Beasley

Reply to
maxpower

The timing belt was changed around 60,000 miles, the car now has 104,000, so it is possible. I thought the Neon engines were not zero clearance, so I would expect to hear a lot of bad noise when cranking the engine. I am having the car towed home tomorrow as it is sitting is a Taco joint parking lot. Sine the Camshaft Sensor was a easy replacement, I did it in the parking lot. I will be checking the Timing belt and Crankshaft sensor tomorrow and reply to the group on findings. Thanks again for your reply.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Just because you have a camshaft sensor code does not mean that it is the sensor, it could be the 5 volt supply, the ground or the sense wire

Reply to
maxpower

Agreed. I shot gunned hoping that was it. I have since had it towed home and will start going through it. What I have read, the car will start with a failed Camshaft sensor, so I will be looking at the timing belt and Crankshaft sensors also.

Reply to
Dan

What fun taking the timing cover off! Looks like the water pump bearings went out. The gear on the pump was torn up and between chunks of gear and some antifreeze, the teeth on the timing belt stripped on the crankshaft. The car is always parked on a concrete driveway, I never noticed any antifreeze leaks to for warn of impending danger. Interesting that the camshafts were not in timing when I looked at where they were at. Not sure how that happened as the belt was securely around both camshafts. The belt did not break, just stripped. Still working on it. Hopefully the engine was not damaged, but what are those chances?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

here is a question for you is this car an auto or stick if it is a stick take a look at the power box next to the battery actuly lift up the box and look for a red and white wire thats goes to the bottom of the box and see if the cable rubbed through that would prevent the car from starting it happened to me

Reply to
truckdriver