97 Neon won't start and codes

My son just called and his car (97 Neon) turns over but will not start. Had him pull the codes using the ignition ON-OFF method and gets a 12 & 42.

I know 12 relates to battery disconnect (which he states has not been done) and 42 according to my list shows several possibilites related to fuel as follows...

42 Fuel pump relay control ckt Auto shutdown relay control ckt No ASD relay output voltage at PCM Fuel level sending unit volts out of range Fuel level unit No change over miles

Any one tell me what the best steps would be to check next? I have a 95 Caravan and the relays are located in a box on the driver-side wheel well under the hood. Is it the same on a 97 Neon, and are these the relays being referred to in this Code 42?

Any help appreciated.

PC Medic

Reply to
PC Medic

I'm going to guess this is a 2.0 SOHC. The first thing to check is the fuse, It should be labeled "fuel pump" in the Power dist center under the hood. If that fuse is good look at the relays in the fuse box, I am pretty sure that the shutdown relay is the same as the horn relay, swap them and see if it starts, if so replace it.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glen, thank you for the quich (and informative) response. You are correct on engine and sorry I forgot to mention in my OP. Sounds like the setup and procedure is very similar to my 95 3.0 Caravan and just passed your instructions on to my son. He is going to check and call me back. Be great if it is that simple as he and his girl just had baby and certainly do not need a large repair bill.

Reply to
PC Medic

Basically the same test, If it gets deeper into the diagnostics the only real thing that changes is the pin locations. More then likely he will find the fuse #21 blown, normally caused by a bad fuel pump

Reply to
maxpower

Basically the same test, If it gets deeper into the diagnostics the only real thing that changes is the pin locations. More then likely he will find the fuse #21 blown, normally caused by a bad fuel pump

Reply to
maxpower

Let me guess, also has an in-tank fuel pump?

Reply to
PC Medic

Most fuel injection cars have them in the tank, all of Chryslers are

Reply to
maxpower

Fuel pump it was, thanks again.

Reply to